Twenty-Two

Jas was judging me as she sang along Sign of the Times. I could only hum along to stop her.

The song reminds me of his car playlist. Classic, rock, ballad. Harry really did put his truest self for his new music, something that he told me he was terrified of doing. This was quite the departure from One Direction's pop which was what would have been expected of him. I couldn't help but be proud knowing that the doubts he told me are now perhaps quashed by the great response. It feels very warm to see him grow out of his reserves and see him on television with natural, personal confidence.

"Uh, this next song I wrote about a person," Harry said and I feel my ears tingle over the familiar husky register. It's followed by cheers from the crowd. "Um, it's a new song from my new album out this Friday. I hope everybody loves it."

A bluesy rhythm of guitar and bass begins. I notice my heart add extra beats every second. I place a hand on chest, feeling the speed, weirded out by my own heart's decision to pound harder. Maybe I just missed enjoying his performance and the contagious euphoria of his energy.

"She's got a family in Carolina

So far away, but she says I remind her of home

Feeling oh so far from home,"

Wait—

As the words coursed through my mind, the rest of my body followed my heart, tensing as Harry sang the opening lyrics. My hands started to sweat and my left foot started to tap nervously. I turn to Jasmin beside me, already frozen in her seat.

"She never saw herself as a West Coaster

Moved all the way 'cause her grandma told her

'Townes, better swim before you drown.' "

At the mention of what could be my last name, my mouth gaped. My lips drain of all color while Harry simply goes to the chorus, unaware of my listening from the other side of the world.

"What the fuck?" Jas burst out.

The crescendo of Harry's She's a good girl reflected the growing chaos of my thoughts and emotions. This couldn't be. This is all just too good of a coincidence probably. He wouldn't do that. He couldn't have.

"She's got a book for every situation

Gets into parties without invitations

How could you ever turn her down?"

I let my face sink on my palms, hoping to find warmth in the friction of my skin. However, it only made me realize that my hands were shaking. I couldn't pick out a single cohesive thing to say or think except that the lyrics were far too relatable, accurate, and relevant to my life.

"Jas—"

"Ssh," she hushed, focused on listening to everything he's singing.

"There's not a drink that I think could sink her

How would I tell her that she's all I think about?

Well, I guess she just found out."

He–what?

The lines dawdled in my head, fighting the doubt and confusion that's initially clouded my thoughts.