Twenty-Seven

"I'm still not used to the sunset around here being around 8 or 9 in the evening," Jas said.

"Me neither," I mumbled, eyes fixated on my phone.

harrystyles

Thank you very much

I hope you love the album

Today 8:30 PM

Hey Viv?

Can I call you?

"Viv?" she called out.

"Yeah?"

"Maybe get out of your leather number first and then you can get comfortable with talking to Harry."

I think I was slowly getting used to her teasing that I didn't even have the energy anymore to dissent from what she said. Or maybe I was just tired from driving. "You're right," I sighed, getting up. "You're mommying me."

"I am," she noted proudly. "That's how you usually sound like by the way."

I only manage a smile as I make way to the closet and get changed. I fix my jacket into a hanger and place my leather boots on the floor. I switch into a shirt and cotton shorts and run back to the couch.

"Wait," I uttered to no one in particular but then turn to Jas who was glued to her phone by the kitchen counter, "would frozen microwavable pizza be okay for dinner?"

"Of course," Jas replied.

"Okay now it's my turn to mommy you again and is that Matt?" I asked, getting a blurry peek of her open iMessage. I didn't really see the contact name but judging from her cheeky, bitten down smile I landed my shot in the basket.

"What're you guys really?" I further asked, enjoying my moment of being the interrogator between us two.

"We talk," she answered briefly, her smile full on loose.

I move to the fridge to get the pizza. "Okay, we do too, and we're not like you and Matt," I challenged. I place the pizza on the microwave's freebie plate and turned the knobs for heat and time.

"Well, Matt and I aren't together..."

"Yet?" I added.

"I hope so," she said boldly, her smile molding into a smirk. "I mean, it's just a little complicated and out of our discussion right now. But we talk and we're trying to get to know each other and maybe from there we'll see."

I nod.

That's Jas. She knows how to make complex things sound simple. And I was the mom friend, really? Even if I was one to give the advice, she'd carve her own words from it and she emerges with success in any situation she's in.

She's a present kind of person and doesn't overthink the next thing that could go right or wrong for her. I, on the contrary, like to fast forward inside my head. I'd like to be ready for the worst in fear that I end up without success.

Like I said, I'm the person with the passive, skeptic, bunkered heart. Jas' is the one out of the bunker, the one in the front lines, a chest in the bull horn formation. And hearing her say that only proves my thinking more. I wish I could do the same. Be comfortable enough to say that I'll just wait and see without being replied with a million outcomes and warning signals by my subconscious.

The microwave bell dings and I'm happy to be out of that thought.

I set the plate on the counter, sprinting to the table by the sofa to get my phone and then running back to a stool in front of Jas.