Chapter One: Going Under

June 28th

"Leave? Are you sure?" Doctor Fowley was following Maitlynn, trying to keep up with her speed. Having put in for an indefinite leave only yesterday, everyone had been coming up to question her as rumor spread.

Maitlynn nodded, holding a patient's file to her chest as she walked, "With everything happening, I think I need to just get out of here." The news speculated evacuation, but it wouldn't become a reality for over a month, though just the idea was causing people to panic. Just this morning over ten nurses walked out to be home with their families.

"It just doesn't sound like you. Usually you put your mind into your work and ignore the outside world." Doctor Marnie Fowley and Maitlynn had worked together since their Internship, Marnie specialized as the pediatric surgeon, but she was not chief of her department, like Maitlynn was.

Maitlynn stopped and turned to look at Marnie, who was already on her fourth cup of coffee and it wasn't even noon. "I'm sorry. I have to." She smiled politely and turned to keep her pace down the hall, this time leaving Marnie behind her.

June 29th

There was no need to pack a bag, everything they would need could be supplied for them. Though as Lucas stood in front of his dresser he starred at the only photo he had of his mother. From the blond hair and piercing blue eyes, he was a mirror image of her. Though he had never met her, he longed to know what she was like, who she was as a person. Only she died giving birth to him and his father was MIA from the Army. Neither family wanted him, so he was put in the foster system where he bounced around until he was eighteen.

There was no question about it, he reached over and took the photo from it's frame. No matter what, this was going in his pocket.

June 30th

Dion followed Marley into the kitchen, a large duffle bag in his arms, "You sure man? My mom would love more company." Dion was leaving to be with his mother, she heard of the evacuation plans and wanted him to go home to Dallas for the time being.

"Nah, really I am fine. If we evacuate..." He thought about the plan he had, how he wasn't suppose to tell anyone, how wrong that really started to feel, but he looked over at his room mate and nodded, "I'll be fine."

"Alright man, well Travis don't be back until next week. His girlfriend somehow worked him into staying a week longer." Dion shrugged, "He best stay in Jersey, especially if the city is evacuated."

"If we go to war, no where is safe." Marley took the bread out of the drawer.

"Anywhere is better than the most popular city in the states." Dion looked over at the window, "Just...be careful man."

"Not to worry." Marley turned to open the cabinet and pull out the peanut butter, "I'm a genius...remember?" He turned and smiled.

Dion smiled, "I'll see ya."

"Yeah." Marley nodded, "See ya."

July 1st

It was the first day Chelsey was out of work, having put in for the unexpected leave. There was a lot of places closing due to the threat of war, but the lab she worked in was essential. Having no work to do, she sat back in her chair and looked out the window, taking a deep breath and closing her eyes in order to think up some ideas to jot down in her notebook. Tucking a long piece of brown hair behind her ear she smiled, opening her eyes and leaning forward to take her notebook and write down her thought. Then...the building shook. Chesley froze, she looked down at her glass of orange juice and watched the liquid shake. "What th..." Without another thought she got up, ripped the page out of her notebook and shoved it in her pocket, then ran toward the door, grabbing her jacket along the way.