Chapter Two

April 1970

Since the night at the pub, there have been many more just like it. Anastasia still can't believe that she was able to make three more friends within a couple of hours. They managed to make London feel even more like home to the young girl.

Anastasia also couldn't help but think about Roger and the feeling of his lips on her cheek. Sure, she didn't like him that much when they first met, but since getting to know each other more, she can't help but get a fluttering sensation in her stomach when she thinks of the blonde man.

One night, Anastasia and Elizabeth were standing outside of a small pub. They were waiting on Freddie so that they could see Smile play. Elizabeth was looking like a model as always, wearing a gold satin slip-like dress with a lit cigarette in between her fingers. Anastasia, on the other hand, had come from her small job at a local bookstore. She was dressed casually in light wash flared jeans and a blue tee. Once Freddie arrived, also looking like a model Anastasia noted, the three went in so that they could grab a couple of beers and chat before the show started.

"Bethie," Freddie sang once they reached the bar, "what's going on between you and Tim?"

"We've gone out a couple of times."

"And?"

"Sorry, but I don't kiss and tell."

"Since when," Anastasia said while laughing.

"You don't have to be mean," the short brunette said, "but, if you must know, we have gone out a couple of times and might have done some other things. But it's not anything that's too serious."

"Yet," Freddie added.

"Enough about me. How are you and Mary?"

"Still going quite strong. I really do love her. She just has this way of making me feel whole and alive."

"Y'all are so sweet," Anastasia remarked.

"That reminds me," Elizabeth said, "are Brian and Chrissie still together?"

"That they are Bethie. As a matter of fact, he wants to propose once he has a more stable income."

"I didn't know that Brian was seeing someone," Anastasia said.

"He doesn't like talking about relationships," Freddie replied.

"Unless it's about someone else's," a familiar voice remarked.

The trio turned around to see Roger standing there.

"What are you doing out here Pretty Boy," Freddie asked.

"You're just asking to get trampled by groupies," Elizabeth taunted.

"Ha ha," Roger deadpanned, "Fred I think I saw Mary on my way over here. Why don't you and Beth go say hi."

"Did you really," Freddie excitedly asked, "come on Bethie!"

Freddie dragged Beth in the direction Roger was pointing in, and away from the bar.

"Did you really see Mary," Anastasia asked.

"I think so."

Roger ordered two shots of scotch and downed them once they came out.

"You just came out here for some shots?"

"It's kind of a ritual. It calms my nerves."

"You need to calm your nerves? I find that hard to believe."

"Oh yeah?"

"Yeah. This isn't my first time seeing you play Rog. You're good."

"It's the scotch."