Chapter Three

April 1970

Anastasia took her parents all over London, eager to show them her favorite spots as well as the places that have become a part of her daily or weekly routine. Her parents were amazed to see how she was able to adjust. It seemed as though she was meant to be there. Thomas, her father, had only known rural life until he moved to Nashville. Even then, it wasn't anything like London. Her mother, Sharina, grew up in a larger city, but had become accustomed to country life. So, being in a bigger city again brought back memories for the woman and shocked the man.

Anastasia's friends wanted to throw a little party for the girl to celebrate her turning twenty and so that they could give her parents a proper send off, seeing as though this was their final night in the city. The group spent the whole afternoon getting their gifts together and they were even able to get the owner of the Pig & Whistle to allow them the space for the night, so long as they cleaned and locked up when they were finished as well as the promise of a performance one night as the newly revamped Smile. Elizabeth had left Anastasia with her parents with a time to be at the pub for a "small get together" before joining Mike, the new bassist for the band, to pick up the cake they ordered from a local bakery. Chrissie and Mary had spent the time placing balloons, streamers, and some fake flowers around the pub to make it appear more bright and cheerful. Roger and Brian were getting some last minute food items and Freddie was watching over the whole operation, claiming that everything had to be perfect for "their best girl and her darling parents." While this was all going on, Anastasia was getting ready while her parents were waiting for her by the door. They were all dressed pretty simply, but nothing too casual.

Thomas looked at his watch and called for his daughter, who quickly rounded the corner.

"Sorry daddy," the girl sheepishly said.

"It's okay sweetie. Your mother and I just wanted to give you something before we leave."

Sharina pulls out a small white box from her bag and handed it to the girl. Anastasia opened it up and gasped at the object inside. It was a silver hair comb. It was on the small and delicate side, but it was adorned in intricate detailing of flowers.

The woman smiled at her daughters reaction. "This was your great grandmother's. She wore it on her wedding day. Then your grandmother and your aunt wore it on theirs. I wore it on mine and one day you will wear it on yours."

"Can you put it in now momma?"

"Yes," the woman laughed and motioned for the girl to turn around and she gently placed it in her thick curls.

"You look so beautiful sweetheart," Thomas smiled.

"Thank you both so much."

"Come on now," Sharina said, "let's go before your friends get upset that we kept you from them for so long."

When the trio arrived at the pub they were quickly ushered in by Elizabeth. It was completely dark and silent when they entered, leaving the family confused. Suddenly, the lights came on revealing the fully decorated building and her friends who all let out a unsynchronized, yet excited, "happy birthday." Anastasia stared at her friends in shock and happiness before letting out a laugh and hugging each of them.

"You guys didn't have to do this!"

"Of course we did," Mary said, "it's your birthday."

"And your parents last night," Roger added."

"We had to do something for you," Brian explained.

The night went amazingly. Thomas and Sharina seemingly got along well with their daughter's friends and Anastasia couldn't be happier to see all the people she loved in one place. She was also still in shock at her friends' kindness. All of a sudden, Freddie called everyone together and placed a chair that was heavily decorated in fake flowers and streamers in the center of the room.