Chapter 8 "The Mad Man Of Loirne"

Chapter 8 “The Mad Man Of Loirne”
________________________________________

The wolves have circled around us, pinning us in place. There were more than we have anticipated, and the horses startles in panic.

Stand your ground! Harriet exclaimed.

The moment when the wolves were about to pounce, a voice called out from the wilderness, stopping the wolves to a halt.

Then a man emerged from the shadows. His clothes were in black and a red long scarf was covering half of his face. He carried a long bow at his back.

The man closes in on us.

Not another step! Harriet exclaimed. Or this dagger will punch a hole between your eyes. I rarely miss.

The man spoke.

Elder? Is that you?

He removed his scarf, revealing his face. He had dark yellow eyes, and scars swarmed his face.

It’s me Marcus. The man said.

Marcus? Is that really you? The elder said.

Yes, it is. The man said. A long time it has been.

Forgive me, I hardly recognized you. The elder said. My age has been catching up with me.

Everyone at ease now, He’s with the order. The elder continued.

That was close. Harriet said. Make your self known next time. I’m Harriet Thorne, leader of the south.

I apologize for the unpleasant greetings. Marcus said. I mistook you for somebody else.

Let me introduce myself formally. Marcus added.

I’m Marcus Wolfbane, A beast tamer from the west brigade. 

Word have reached us that the royal cavalry has made contact with you. Marcus continued.

I thought that the tribes of beast tamers were long gone, I meant no offense. Yves said.

A few of our numbers remains. Marcus said. It is because of Aurelius that our number declined drastically. When we were forced out of our settlements to build his fortresses and defenses.

I’m sorry about that. Yves said.

I have been sent here to search for survivors. Luckily, I found you. Marcus continued.

Unfortunately, you’re looking at the only survivors. Harriet said in a soft tone. If you have heard of us then you already knew what happened to the east?

Yes we’ve heard. Some of us were sent there as well. Marcus said.

I know a safe way back to the west brigade. Marcus added.

I’m afraid nowhere is safe nowadays. Harriet said. We’d like to go straight ahead with you but spies are everywhere, we will make a detour just to be safe.

Then I will escort you all the way back. Marcus said. I’ll watch your backs from the shadows.

Thank you! Harriet said.

We resumed our path to Loirne.

That man really did a scare on us. I said.

Good thing hes on our side. Harriet said. 

 _______________________________________

We emerged from the path and finally set foot to Loirne.