Chapter Thirty-Eight

Diana leans against the bar at the kick-off party, if she is being forced to be here she is going to drink as much as she can. It's free, she's exploiting that. She hates being here. She hates being out of the house. She hates that she knows Alaric is here somewhere. She saw him earlier before she sneaked off to find the bar. She lets out a breath and takes a drink from her glass. Alaric approaches her from behind, his eyes glancing around for prying eyes before he steps up to her side.

"I've been looking for you." He whispers as he leans at her side.

"Well you found me" She comments before she takes a drink from her glass. He glances at her and lets out a breath.

"You're avoiding me" He points out.

"Yep" she agrees.

"And school?" she hums and nods. "You can't just skip school, Diana" He scolds her. "It's important. Your whole future..."

"And I can't just go to school and pretend like we had nothing" She interrupts him, he looks at her sadly. "Maybe you can"

"You don't think this is just as hard for me?" he asks her. Diana glances behind her and to where Elena and Matt are dancing together. Alaric watches her, sees the emotions on her face. Hates seeing her look upset. Matt leaves Elena and she turns, finds Stefan standing there. She smiles.

"Please dance with your alcoholic vampire boyfriend." Stefan tells Elena who smiles at him and dances with him.

"Diana" Alaric whispers, she cocks her head slightly listening to him. "I hate this too" he assures her. Diana lets out a breath and glances at him, the two of them share a deep longing look. Elena accidentally stumbles into a man behind her.

"Wow! Watch it!" He snaps at Elena. Diana snaps her head around to see what's happening, mostly because she can't do this with Alaric, she can't risk talking with him.

"I'm sorry, my fault. I'm clumsy."

"Then get off the dance floor."

"Excuse me?" Elena asks him.

"That no way to talk to a lady." Stefan warns.

"Whatever." The man turns to leave but Stefan catches his arm and compels him.

"I think you need to apologize."

"I'm sorry." He starts to leave, but Stefan grabs him again.

"Now say it like you mean it."

"I'm really, really sorry."

"Stefan, it's fine." Elena tells Stefan.

"Now walk away." Stefan pushes him. The man leaves. Elena touches Stefan's arm, he turns and touches Elena's face. "You alright?" Elena nods, slightly scared.

.............

A short time later, Diana and Alaric are still at the bar when Damon them. Alaric glances to him but Diana keeps her eyes on her drink.

"Have you noticed what your brother has been up to?" Diana comments as Damon leans on the bar on her other side. He groans a little.

"No, I have been too preoccupied with yours." He counters, she looks at him. "Jeremy has been asking questions about Vicki Donovan's death."

"So?" She asks him, Damon pulls a face, she rolls her eyes and sighs. "You killed Vicki Donovan" she points out. "Look, he knows that her death was ruled an overdose."

"Really?" he asks her and then imitates Jeremy. "'Oh but sheriff, someone buried her. Who would do that?'" She shoots him a look. "I know I know! Me! I mean I could compel him but he's wearing vervain."