ten

I awoke to the subtle squeaking sound of my mattress and the dipping sensation towards the end of my bed.  I blinked my eyes open and stared in the direction of where the noise came from.  I was able to make out the outline of a dark ominous figure setting on the edge of the bed, but could not distinguish which way they were facing.  My heart immediately began to pound intensely against my chest.

Out of sheer panic, I kicked the figure with as much force as I could muster in my sleepy legs.  They tumbled to the ground with a loud thump followed by a deep grunt.

“What the hell Waverly.”

Oh. 

“Sorry Harry,” I mumbled.

“Wait—Harry?”  I jolted up into a seated position.  Harry was standing at the foot of my bed and rubbing his shoulder, the shoulder I assumed he fell on.

“Yes it’s me you twat.”  I could barely see his face in the dark room, but I knew he was glaring at me.

“I’m sorry I was like half asleep when I did that,” I told him, “I didn’t even think you were coming after—“ I stopped myself.

I heard him sigh then watched as he slowly stepped closer, sitting on the bed beside me.  “Look I wanted to apologize for blowing up on you,” he said as he reached over and clicked on the lamp on my nightstand.

I squinted my eyes in reaction to the brightness and Harry laughed softly at my discomfort.  “I’m a real jerk aren’t I?”

“Yes,” I nodded in agreement. It felt good to hear him admit this.

He half-smiled and looked down at his hands.  “I didn’t mean half of what I said last night.’ 

“Which half?” I asked.  My voice was still croaky from sleeping and my eyes could barely stay open let alone focus. 

“The second half,” he said, “I did not mean to hurt your feelings.”

I crossed my arms over my chest.  “Well you did.”  Some of what he said stood out, such as when he said we weren’t even friends or that I was useless.  No one had ever spoken to me like that before and his words rung through my ears repeatedly as I looked at him now. 

His entire demeanor had shifted.  His shoulders were slumped, his gaze rarely met mine, and his features were much more tamed and downy.  I lacked the ability to understand how the same person sat before me now could have said those hurtful words.

“I’m sorry I really mean it.”  He turned his face towards mine and we met eyes for the first time that night.  He showed genuine remorse and I found myself believing him. 

I saw the world through rose-colored glasses most of the time, always hoping for the best of everyone I crossed.  Perhaps I simply did not want to except the evils and trepidation of the world at times, but when it came to Harry, I somehow knew he was not truly evil.  I knew what it was like to be so overcome with emotion that words slip out carelessly, and to loose control of that person you really are.

I nodded to show him I accepted the apology.  I had never expected him to show here after all that was said last night, but here he was.  He was always surprising me.

“I guess I owe an apology too,” I sighed as I lied back on to my pillow.  Harry’s eyes stayed locked on mine as I did so, but they were softer than usual. His whole persona looked soft that evening, not a trace of hostility or intimidation.

“Something is wrong,” he stated as he looked at me. 

My heart stung at the gentle reminder.  “Yes.  Something is very wrong,” I mumbled and placed my hands over my face.