thirty three

Orange light danced on Ashton's animated face as he told a story. What the story was about, I had no idea, but everyone seemed to be enjoying it. Wild laughter swirled around the fire as he leaned over with his elbows on his knees and continued to speak.

I took a gulp of the drink Liam had poured me. The warm liquid slid down my throat, burning the sensitive flesh like acid. I might as well have swallowed one of the floating embers flinging from the fire instead.

"Wow." I coughed. "This is strong."

Liam, who was sitting on the other side of Leo, looked over at me. "It's good isn't it?" His brown eyes looked warmer than ever as the fire reflected off them.

"No,' I said, but took another sip anyway.

He laughed. I could tell it was genuine because his eyes squinted and everything.

My insides felt warm, maybe because of the alcohol, but it could have also been because Liam and I were finally getting along.

"It get's the job done though," he said and elbowed Kyle beside him, "Doesn't it mate?"

"Absotootly," Kyle slurred, raising his glass haphazardly. A tiny wave of liquid splashed out.

"He's already smashed," Louis laughed.

"Don't get too drunk on us now Waverly," Ashton spoke over everyone's laughter, "We don't need you running away again, and especially not when you are under the influence."

Everyone else continued to laugh except Harry, who was sitting directly across from me on a log in between Damon and Niall.

"Too soon," he said, smirking behind his glass.

Ashton grinned at Harry. "Sorry mate."

"I can handle myself Irwin, but thanks for your concern." I downed another large sip and scrunched my face as the drink stung my sinuses.

"Can I try?" I jumped at the sound of M's voice. She was perched on Leo's lap, leaning and grasping for the glass in my hand.

"Absolutely not." I tugged the drink from her reach.

"These drinks are for big kids only M," Niall said.

"Yeah, you wouldn't like it anyway," Leo added, pulling her back into his lap.

She furrowed her brow. "What is it?"

"It's horse pee," Ashton said, "That's what it is."

"Might as well be," Damon said under his breath, taking a whiff of his drink.

Her mouth expanded in horror. "Ew!"

"It's true, right guys?" Niall motioned his hand for us all to respond and winked. Everyone nodded quickly, failing to conceal their grins as M continued to grimace with pure disgust.

Eventually Niall cracked and cackled into his hand, tossing his head back to the night sky. Everyone followed suit and howling laughter filled the vast jungle like smoke. My fingers tingled and my teeth chattered because I had never felt so at home.

"You guys are gross!" she yelled, "I'm going to sleep." With that, she turned away and buried her face in to Leo's chest.

"I'll put her down," Leo said, standing up with her in his arms. He smiled at me softly. "You have fun, but not too much fun."

I smiled with half my mouth. "Thanks Lee."

Once he was gone, all of the boys seemed to direct their attention toward me.