Chapter 2

2

In the arms of prophet’s song

while singing words of destiny.

Free will is a shadow in the crying song of misery.

Once along a passing phase

in life and love and more.

Distant words of yesterdays appear there on the door.

 ~*~

As the sun sank toward the horizon Brigitte and Lukias reached the last neighborhood before the circles of the citadel. Here the market faded into residential areas where the channel branched off into coves surrounded by villas. Careful to blend in as they moved through pedestrians, Brigitte and Lukias navigated by his dreamseer instincts.

The crowd parted ahead to avoid a woman of stately composure standing in the middle of the esplanade. She wore a hooded overcoat that fell to her ankles with wide sleeves almost touching the ground. The hems were lined with light blue embroidery. Its swirling patterns stood out from the dark blue of the fabric. Her hair was uncommonly blond for an Atlantean, though she had it covered with the pointed hood of her coat.

She penetrated the crowd, focusing on Brigitte and Lukias with large blue eyes that absorbed the world like a dreamseer’s.

Lukias headed straight for her. “Greetings,” he spoke, bowing respectfully. It was the first exchange he had chosen to have since they entered the city. “I believe you are waiting for us.”

She nodded slowly. Her glacial eyes studied the travelers. “I am Allondriss, servant to Mediator Pan Aello. I have seen you in my visions.” Her eyes bounced to Brigitte.

“And you have been in mine,” he responded steadily. “I am Lukias, High Seer of Poseidon’s dreamclan. Will your mediator master receive us?”

Brigitte flinched. It was the first time he introduced himself as the high seer of their clan. With their father gone, the title had become his.

Allondriss hesitated, taken aback by the implication of his obvious dreamseer mastery. “Undoubtedly. My master is loyal to the Watchers and their dreamclans.”

Brigitte found her station a curiosity. A fair-skinned maiden with such fair hair would be seen among the high-born Temple Sect, not as a lowly servant. Her mannerisms were deliberate, as a servant’s would be, yet graceful to suggest the delicate training of the temple priesthood. Neither did her clothing allude to a lesser status.

To avoid curious glances, she led them through a side alley to the gates of a private estate. Allondriss peered back over her shoulder before running her crystal bracelet over the locked gate. The motion set off a clicking mechanism, and the gate swung open.

”A stranger told us soul-crystals are banned for use here.” Brigitte thought of Lukias’s crystal, which she had not seen him wear until they were on the dreamship. “How is this crystal different?”

Allondriss pulled it from her wrist and handed it over. “This is a tool. A crystal-accessor, to be exact. It is merely a hollow shell, because its telluric consciousness is harnessed into the Grid. Our entire Grid is run by crystals. Our hover technology is run by torsion-crystals and imprinters. These are all tools. We can connect with soul-crystals far deeper than we can with tools. Only the Temple Sect can use them.”

Brigitte pursed her lips in thought, handing the bracelet back. “Is there a reason for this ban?”

Allondriss smiled slightly. “One can take the official reason for truth. The technology was being abused by the few, and therefore forbidden to the whole. But then there is the unofficial reason.” She motioned for them to enter, then led the way through a tunnel of creeping vines, which opened to a breathtaking view of palatial gardens and serpentine paths. Their pace was no more than a promenade, which gave them the chance to absorb their surroundings.