Chapter Three

CHAPTER 3

"Because of you, I laugh a little harder, cry a little less, and smile a lot more." -Unknown

That night, Jacob's words haunted me.

"Some are from abuse." Those words whirled around my head every second.

I needed to help Jacob and Alexis. I picked up my phone and texted Bella. I could tell the same thing was bothering her.

Me: Hi. r u still awake bella?????????????????????????????????

Bella: Oh Hey Izzy i was just abt 2 msg u

Me: you know Alexis wants to commit suicide right? And she cuts herself.

Bella: ya. Ik. she did last year too. I found out last year. In gr 5.

Me: really? How??!!!!!!!!!

Bella: She was cutting herself during class, and i heard emma and olivia talk abt it.

Me: we have to do something abt this.

Bella: do wut? I've been trying to find a solution but i cant

Me: every day, tell her how awesome she is. Let her know that we care.

I texted the same thing to Jacob and Emma and got a response from Emma.

She said she knows and is trying to stop Alexis but it isn't working. She says she does tell her that she is awesome everyday. She also said she heard Jacob wanting to do the same thing, and that they both need help.

The next day, Alexis comes up to me.

"I heard what you texted Jay," She said softly. "I'm okay. I talked to my teacher. I'm fine. Really."

"But... I just..." I stammer. "A-are you sure? I want you to be happy."

"I am," she lies. "I'm fine. Don't worry about me. I'm okay, I promise."

I wasn't convinced. Before, she was suicidal. People don't get over it after one meeting with a teacher.

I look down at my shoes as she walks away. I have to do something, I think in my head. But what?

I told Bella what Alexis said.

"We should try to find out why she's so sad," Bella says to me. "Hmm...maybe at recess, I'll get Anna, Jacob, and Sofia to see what they know."

Before recess, We got Jacob, Annabelle and Sofia and we headed to the lower field.

We gather in a circle, and I start to get into what needs to be talked about. I looked around to see if anyone was nearby before I started to talk.

"We need to talk about Alexis," I say to everyone once I confirmed the coast was clear. "She wants to commit suicide, and we need to help her."

Sofia gasps. This is news to her. She didn't know about it before now.

"She wants to commit suicide?" Sofia asks, her voice sounding thin. "But why?"

"That's what I'm trying to find out," I say to everyone.

"Alexis is our best friend. She doesn't know how much people care about her. Do any of you know what it could be that caused her depression? I think I might know."

"me , too," Jacob agrees.

Everyone nods in agreement.

"Her mom," Everyone speaks at once. "The main cause of her depression is mostly her mom."

"And does anyone know why it could be her mom that's the problem?" I start. "Anyone?"

Jacob takes a deep breath.

"I know that she abuses Alexis," He says in a quiet voice. "Her mom hits her with a pan, and her four brothers stab her with pens."

My eyes widen. I knew Alexis was abused, but I didn't know it was this bad.

"Were the burn marks on her arms and legs from her mom, or self harm?" I ask Jacob.

"I have no idea," He says. "But one time I noticed a grey spot on her eye."

Everyone gasps.

"We need to help her," Jacob says. "She's already tried to commit suicide seven times already."

"What are we going to do," Bella says, biting her lip. "I don't want Alexis to die."

"None of us do," Annabelle tells us. "There has to be something we can do to help our friend."

"I hope so," Sofia sighs. "But what?"

"Jacob," I say to him. "I know sometimes you feel the same way."

"NO!" Sofia says. "You can't!"

"I don't have plans to right now," He tells us. "But sometimes when I'm having a rough time, like after therapy, I think about it and say 'no.' 'You sure?' 'I'm sure.' 'really?' 'I...' 'do it.' 'maybe...' But I end up not doing it."

I shake my head. "That's terrible."

"Yeah," Sofia says to him. "You are awesome! You and Alexis both. I want you guys to live a long life!"

"And I will!" He assures her. "I'll try. And while I can, I'll make sure Alexis lives too."

"While you can?" I ask Jacob. "What does that mean?"

He doesn't answer. He just looks to the ground.

Annabelle turns to me.

"What else could have been Alexis' problem?" She asks me. "Besides her mom."

"Another thing I noticed that could be part of the problem," I tell everyone, "Is that Alexis is being isolated, bullied, and hurt by other people in our grade."

"Yeah, once a girl punched her in the face. She didn't know who," Annabelle adds. "Probably a girl who Alia and Michelle talked to. Those jerks."

"Woah," Sofia says. "Anything else you guys know about this? Has she said anything?"

"She also told me once during class," Jacob continues. "That I'm the reason she hasn't committed suicide yet."

"So as long as you are at this school, she'll be safe," Bells says, feeling a bit better.

Jacob bits his lip.

"And that's the problem," He says sadly.

I'm confused. "What?" I asked Jay.

Jacob looks at his feet.

"Next year, I'm being sent to a different school. A special school for kids with mental disabilities, like me," He tells us, without even looking up at us. He sighs and kicks at an ice chunk on the ground. "I won't even be here next year."

Everyone falls silent.

What are we going to do?