Over

Don't worry it's not the last chapter - although it's very,very  close

__

It was hard to decide what to tell Scott. He hated to lie to him, but the worry was grinding the poor boy down to dust. 

Mitch was alive, at least for now, thanks to the insanely fast response of the medical personnel. The doctor had been so incredibly kind and understanding with the 10000 questions pouring out of him after the fact, but he really didn’t understand most of the things happening even when she tried explaining. He wasn’t a man that was easily scared by anything, but that flatline was his biggest fear. He felt like they’d taken a step backwards when she explained they had put the tube back down his throat. All of the hope he’d had when he’d heard his voice was now gone. He knew he needed to start really preparing himself for the worst.

But for the moment he somehow managed to put on a brave face and stretched the truth just a bit, telling Scott that they had sedated Mitch to help ease the strain on his body and visiting hours had been cut short.

Scott was noticeably disappointed, but he gave a small nod and just sank down into his chair again.

The rest of the day seemed to crawl by. Mitch’s sister Jess had shown up around lunchtime, her tears causing a domino effect and soon they were all a worried, crying mess again.

Visiting hours felt even shorter than usual when they rolled back through again as they tried to let everyone have a turn in the short couple of hours they had.  Scott didn’t stay in long this time, maybe about 15 minutes, but he kissed his forehead through his mask and made sure he told him he loved him. He sang to him softly for awhile, held his hand and told him how excited he was to see those brown eyes again.

“You’re so beautiful, always. I miss you so much.  So, can you do me a favor? Just try to get better for me? I know it’s hard and I know it hurts…  and I know I’m selfish, but I need you, ok? Just try.”

 ----

That night was just as hard as the previous and they all gathered in Kirstie’s room just to try and keep themselves from all falling apart.  They had dinner and somehow conversation managed to find them. It was hard to let themselves push it all to the back of their minds, even for just a while, but they all needed it for their own sanity.

Scott left the soiree’ early, but Alex wasn’t far behind. He ordered a bottle of wine from room service and, with Alex keeping a watchful eye, he had a few glasses … just enough to help quiet the voices in his head, at least for one night.

------

He wasn’t sure why but he hesitated outside of the glass door. He chewed on his lip as he slowly slid it open and then closed it after he was inside. Mitch was asleep, but he looked … different.  The tube was gone and Mike must have combed his hair because, although it was still greasy and dirty, it was at least combed over to the side.  He was finally starting to look, at least a bit, like his Mitch.   

He stood next to him and took his hand in his, still treating him like fragile glass. “Good morning, beautiful. If you could have coffee I’d bring you some.” He tried to keep his voice upbeat, positive like they had told him to. Happy, supportive vibes support healing or whatever malarkey.

He was quiet for awhile, letting his thumb caress the skin of his hand. “You would laugh, I tried to put on one of your sweaters while you were gone. You wear such big stuff it almost fit.” He laughed a bit. “I brought your rilakkuma bear. I don’t know if tears really leave stains on things, but I may have to buy you a new one if they do.” 

He watched his face for a bit before closing his eyes.  “Are you going to wake up for me today? I know you’re having some really good dreams of naked boys right now, but... “ He sighed. “this boy would really like to hear your voice again.”

He knew his time was almost up, the clock on the wall mocking him.

“dreaming of you…” 

His heart practically stopped in his chest when he heard the whispered, scratchy words. He nearly collapsed in relief when his eyes met those very sleepy brown eyes for the first time in way too long. 

“You’re shaking.”

He was… he knew he was, but he was overwhelmed. “Mitchie?”

“hey handsome” 

Scott’s free hand lifted to touch his face, but he hesitated and Mitch just gave him the first hint of a smile. He finally let the palm of his hand touch his cheek, careful not to bother the tube leading into his nostrils. Mitch nuzzled into the touch, eyes closing as he just enjoyed the warmth of his other half.  

It was like breathing again after being trapped underwater. He could finally stop holding his breath. He let himself finally believe that he was here, that this was Mitch and he felt like his world was spinning again.

“Baby…” He looked so tired, but there was still a smile there in his eyes. “Please don’t cry.” 

He knew it probably hurt the boy to talk, his voice quiet and gritty, but the sound of it hit him square in the heart and he never wanted him to stop. He wiped at his eyes knowing it wouldn’t help. “I never thought I’d…” He shook his head, to keep from going down that road. “Please don’t leave me again.”

“I love you.”

“You have no idea how much I love you.”

“Maybe they’ll let you give me a sponge bath.” He let his eyebrows rise and fall and Scott couldn’t help but laugh a little and shook his head. 

“You do need one.”

Mitch smiled weakly and Scott ran his thumb over a dimple and it nearly sent him straight to the floor as his tears really came this time. “I was so scared. I thought you were dead and…” his voice sounded like someone else’s as he tried to explain, but then realized he shouldn’t upset Mitch, but it was a little late. He watched a tear slide down that cheek.  “I’m sorry, I shouldn’t … I’m sorry.”

Mitch squeezed his hand weakly. “I know. It’s ok to be upset.”

Scott looked at him, wiping his eyes again with the arm of his sleeve.  He sniffled a bit. “You need to shave.”

Mitch laughed, coughing just a bit as the dryness of his throat tickled a bit. “Totally kissing you with this beard when you dont have that stupid mask on.” 

Scott laughed. “I can’t wait.”

“I love you.” 

“You said that already, and you can say it as much as you want. I love you too.”

 He looked up at the clock and felt his heart sink. “I was supposed to go get Jess and Kirstie 5 minutes ago.”

“Please don’t go. I… just…   please.”

 He nodded. He didn’t give two sh!ts what anyone wanted or whose feet he stepped on, there was no way he’d leave him until the doctors said so.

 “Ok, can I go tell them? Jess could come in too…”

He nodded. “I’m so tired.” 

“Rest, ok? I’m gonna go get your sister.”

“Scott?” 

“Yeah?”

“It’s over. I saw him. I watched him die. We’re safe now.”

He ran his fingers over Mitch’s head. “It’s not over until you’re at home and wrapped in my arms.” 

“I can’t wait.”