Outset

DIANA's POV

       "Have you already contacted our supplier? And please send me a report of sales for this month, I just need to check something." I ordered my assistant as soon as I entered the restaurant.

   "Yes, Ms. D and here's your coffee." She handed me the coffee but it slips from her hand before I was able to take it.

"Shit!" I heard her mumbled and she immediately bend down to wipe the stain on my white pants. I remembered something with that coffee stain. "I'm sorry..I'm really sorry, Ms D.."she nervously begs and tried her best to remove the stain using wet wipes. I pulled my legs away from her and I can see how scared she is.

"Leave." I demanded without looking at her and as soon as she disappears in front of me, I heard whispers and murmurs from the staffs.

"Hiring for her assistant is open again."

"Maaga na namang mainit ang ulo ni Mam."

"Malapit nya na sanang ma break ang record ng pinakamatagal nyang assistant, 1 day na lang eh mag 2 weeks na sana sya."

I heard different comments as I made my way to my small office.

"Did I heard it right? Are you firing your assistant again?"

"Isn't it too early to babysit me?" I asked and she laughed as she sat down on the couch.

"How are you, Dee?" She asked out of the blue.

"I'm doing fine as you can see.." I grinned and leaned on my chair.

"I'm so proud of you. Your resto has been recognized as one of the best in the country and even included at the list of the best ones in the whole world!" She complimented which made me smile from ear to ear. I didn't expect that the resto I started 3 years ago would make it this far and even exceeded the success of my own family's resto. Maybe because this is where I put all my attention, time and effort.

"I'm pretty sure Tita R and Bry are so proud of you, too." The smile on my face faded with her comment.

My relationship with my mom became worse after what happened and when I left our company for good leaving all the responsibilities to Bry. But I am still glad that my brother supported me when I built my own business.

"What brings you here?" I immediately changed the topic by asking her.

"I just want to visit my bestfriend."

"Oh come on! Spill it!" I know she has something to say every time she dropped by my office.

"Okay. Okay... I wanted to book your resto next week for a special event.." she uttered.

"What's the celebration this time? Your whole staff were just here last month. You could have just texted me." I replied and opened my laptop to start working with the documents that I needed to finish.

I heard Ann sighed before opening up to me.

"I think the right time has come to level up what Gaz and I have."

She'll propose to her.

"That's nice. Just tell me what your plan is, I'll make sure to make your dinner date a memorable one." I gave her a genuine smile. I am happy for her and for Gaz but I can't deny to myself that proposal thing can still stung my heart even after three years.

As soon as Ann left, I took a minute of cigarette break and enjoy the view of the small patio just outside the glass door of my office.

    "Ms. D.." my assistant comes in and found me in the patio.

     "Did I asked you to come here?" I told her as soon as she stepped on the patio. She looked down and step back inside the office when she heard me.

  "What is it?" I ask and light my second cigarette.

  "I just want to inform you that Mr. Gomez who booked the resto for a wedding reception next month is here to discuss further details regarding the event and he said he wanted to meet you." She nervously said with her eyes fixed on the ipad she was holding. I don't want to reveal my face to any client but I can make an exception today as I have nothing else to do and I want to be more hands on with my restaurant especially for an event that was entrusted to us.

"Tell him, I'll be there in a minute."

She rushed out of the room as I put off my cigarette then fixed myself before going out of my office and walk towards a man who were sitting on the table talking to my assistant, Jen.

Jen left him as soon as she saw me approaching the table.

"You must be Mr. Gomez." He stood up and shake my hand. I was expecting a much older man but this one must be on his 30's, well built and with a spanish features.

"And you must be whom they called "Ms. D",  the owner of this splendid restaurant. Wow! I never expected that you are a gorgeous lady!"

I chuckled as a reply to his compliment. "Let's have a seat Mr. Gomez. Have you discussed the details already with my assistant?"

"Oh, yes.. and with the food tasting, all the food you offered are mouthwatering." He made a delicious sign using his hand.

"It's a great pleasure that you chose our restaurant to hold the special event in your life." I stated.

"My fiancée have been following your resto when she saw it being featured in one of the tv shows last time and she really dreamed of us to dine in here. So I told her why not make it extra special by making our first dine experience here with all our loved ones and closest friends. Well, that would be on our wedding day." He chuckled as he recounted happily.

"You really loved your soon to be wife, huh?" I can tell by how his eyes glistened when he was telling me about his fiancée. We talked for a couple of minutes more until he was about to go.

"It's nice to meet you, Ms D. I hope to see you around next month." He stood up and gave me a firm handshake.

"Oh, I guess my fiancée is here!" He looked behind me as I heard footsteps approaching us. And when I turned my head to whom he was referring to, my heart went wild and the whole world seemed to be in a slow motion as I blinked twice to check if what I am seeing is real.

She was taken aback at first when she finally saw me after being a few steps away from us but then she continued to walk towards us like nothing happened.

"Gab!" She called out to the man in front of me leaving the scent of her perfume in the air when she passed by. I missed it.

"Hey, sweetie! Where is-"

"Still in the car." She cuts him while avoiding my stares and acting like a total stranger.

"Anyway, this is Ms. D, and Ms. D, this is Frances, my-"

"Your fiancée?" I asked, my eyes fixated on her but before they can reply, Jen barged in and handed me my phone.

"I'm sorry Ms. D, but this seems an emergency." I took the phone from her hand and excused myself to answer it while I watch the girl I've missed the most giggled with what the man whispered at her.

Mr. Gomez looked at my direction to bid goodbye and I nodded then return my gaze to the girl my eyes have been wanting to see. She didn't even glance at me as they walked out of the resto with her hand in his arm.

I dropped the call as soon as they vanished on my sight. I wanted to follow her, grab her, kiss her, beg her to talk to me but instead, I was left dumbfounded with so much unanswered questions in my head especially now that she's engaged. She's fucking getting married and not with me!

I grasped my chest when I felt a piercing crushing sensation inside of it. I thought seeing her again will ease the pain that's been piling up inside of me for years but it seemed that her comeback made it doubled the agony.