] 3 [

Thuds, smacks and yells echoed through the brightly lit gymnasium as the group of ten or so girls went through their spiking drills.

Not a big team then... I wonder if they're good...

'Kuroo! Kenma! What are you two doing here?' A relatively tall girl with caramel brown hair pulled up in a high ponytail, and a splash of freckles across her cheeks ran over after spotting them.

'Ichika-san,' Rooster-head tilted his head in greeting, 'we're here to deliver to you, Ito Mirai, a new member. We'll be leaving you to settle her in, Lev's receiving training simply cannot wait a second longer! Good luck, Mirai-chan!' He waved and steered Kenma away.

Said girl stood awkwardly as who she presumed to be the captain paced around her, muttering incoherently, and poking at her arms.

'What's your height?'

'175.3 cm.'

'Year?'

'Second.'

'Position?'

'Libero.'

The captain froze, 'Ah.' Composing herself, clapping her hands twice, she signaled to her team, 'Introductions, people!'

Mirai shifted on her feet, uncomfortable under the curious stares of her new teammates. How she longed for the familiarity of the Seijou team, their generally easygoing and fun atmosphere and the occasional intrusion from the boys.

'Good morning. My name is Ito Mirai, second year, libero. Please take care of me!' She bowed deeply.

'A libero, huh,' Mirai straightened up to meet a baleful glare. A girl an inch or two shorter than she was, golden hair cut into a sleek bob, crossed her arms, 'You're not taking the starting position away from me, that's for certain.'

The captain warned, 'Sara, enough, Ito-san is new here, and we should be welcoming. As for startup, we shall have to see.' She turned to the new girl, holding out a hand, 'I'm Uno Ichika, captain and wing spiker.'

The rest of the team rattled off their names and positions, except for the rude girl of course.

'Nakamura Nozomi, wing spiker.'

'Nakamura Nobu, the better wing spiker.'

The two dark-haired twins couldn't have been more different. One was slouching, her voice small and monotonous, the other had a giant, sunny smile on her face.

'Chinen Yoko, middle blocker.'

She let out a little wave.

'Suzuki Kana, wing spiker, and your ever reliable pinch server!'

Victory signs shot up into the air above her fiery red head.

'Saito Tsuna, setter.'

Wild curls flew as she nodded her head, friendly grin wide.

'Tanji Hana, middle blocker.'

She stood stoically, face blank, towering over the rest of the girls.

'Yokota Roku, w-wing spiker.'

Her timid voice, slight figure, and thick spectacles gave the appearance of a completely non-athletic bookworm. But who knew? Looks can be deceiving. Mirai's own best friend, Aiko, wore glasses, but was one of the best wing spikers she's ever seen.

'This horrible person is Fujimori Sara, just call her Fuji, it's easier. She's a libero, like you, if you haven't noticed,' Nozomi, the cheerier twin, slung an arm around the scowling girl's shoulders, 'It's gonna be so fun watching you two fight it out!'