# 6 #

Beeeeeep! The opposing team's server tossed the ball upwards, running a few steps before leaping and smacking the ball across the court. Panting heavily, Mirai skidded across the stadium floor, placing herself right in the way of the ball.

The impact sent her tumbling backwards in a half somersault, but the ball was already up and soaring towards Tsuna.

The rest of the team advanced in a sloppy synchronized attack, too exhausted to care, but the other team was equally tired and didn't notice the setter's obvious movements. Ichika slammed the ball past their block, and the Nekoma side of the court exploded into screams and yells.

31-29.

Two sets to one.

Nekoma girls' team advances into the prelim finals!

'THANK YOU FOR THE MATCH!' The team lined up, bowed, and emerged from the court, their energy completely spent. Except for Kana the pinch server's.

'Let's go watch the boys! Their match should be halfway done by now,' Kana was already bouncing on her toes, eager to see them play.

'Calm down, I'm tired,' Hana grumbled, chugging half of her water in one go.

Mirai peeled off her sweaty knee pads, holding then with two disgusted fingers and sticking them in a plastic bag. She had barely packed away her things before her arm was yanked towards the other court.

'You're really light for someone 175 cm tall,' her kidnapper grabbed her again and lifted her up from the ground.

'Hey! Put me down!' Limbs flailing, the two crashed into the stands, scaring off some poor innocent spectators. And poor innocent Mirai was berated by the captain, she scowled at her friend.

It was Nekoma versus Itachiyama, an extremely unlucky match, with the opposing school having three top-tier players. According to Tsuna's non-volleyball-playing classmate, the two schools each took a set. And Nekoma barely did.

'Yaku-san sure is yelling at Lev a lot, no wonder he's called the demon senpai,' their setter observed, enraptured as Fukunaga spiked a difficult set between the blockers. 'Lev's not doing anything, and he's still getting scolded.'

Mirai was surprised when she first heard of the 'demon senpai', Yaku had seemed perfectly nice after that first awkward meeting. He even helped her with her receives during breaktime. But after watching the boys' practice, she completely understood why.

The entire audience had their eyes glued to the competing teams, respective supporters cheering for their schools, crowds of red and black screamed at each other in turn.

Kenma served, it was received, set and spiked, then Kuroo got in a one touch, which Yaku bumped back to Kenma, who set it to Kai, who spiked, you get the picture. It continued in one of the longest rallies Mirai had ever seen, and she watched every single one of the Aoba Johsai versus Shiratorizawa matches from when Oikawa first started at Seijou, except for the one to come. Disappointment crashed down on her like a tidal wave, she had already missed so much of their matches.

Fingers tightened on Mirai's arm, sharp fingernails digging into her skin, causing her to wince.

She saw Yaku leap after the ball, headed for the edge of the court, it landed a mere centimeter away from his palm.

'NO!' The Nekoma side of the stands wailed in unison, the match had ended, with Itachiyama emerging as the winner.

Mirai leapt down the stands and off the balcony, turning corners at top speed and nearly crashing into quite a few surprised people, taking the steps two at a time, she skidded to a halt in front of the entrance to the court.