Chapter 25 - Postcards and Daydreaming

Mark

Postcards and Daydreaming (2011)

"I told you not to go over there, brother." Mark sat beside his big brother, trying to ignore his lecture on all things Ashley and the incredibly bad idea of going to England to see her.

"Brandon, I got it. You warned me it would only end badly but technically she didn't even see me so it was a wasted trip." Mark thumbed through his wallet to pay for his drinks, praying to God his brother would move on to other forms of conversation.

"So you tracked her down at a bar and just stared at her through the window?" Brandon grilled him relentlessly about his trip and it annoyed the hell out of Mark.

"Yes, she was in there with a dude and they were laughing. They fucking kissed! What was I supposed to do just walk up to her like a friggin' ghost and yell, 'Suprise!'?"

Brandon downed the last of his beer and nodded, "Hell yes that's what you should've done. You flew across the world to see her only to pussy out. You have pined away for this girl for years. You sent emails and texts to her without reply, your other friends refuse to contact her for you. You can't hold a serious relationship with anyone else because you compare every other girl to her!"

Rolling his eyes, Mark slammed his empty beer bottle on the bar and asked the bartender to close their tab.

"That girl has done nothing but break your heart since high school." Brandon shook his head and threw cash at the bartender. "When will you learn?"

Mark made his way to the door, "Ashley's not Melissa, you know." He noticed Brandon's face pinch and he clenched his fist at the mention of his ex-girlfriend who tore his heart to shreds earlier that year.

On the sidewalk, Mark turned on his brother poking a finger in his chest. "I loved her, I had to go and just see how she was. Yeah, I hoped things had turned out differently but they didn't so I have to try to move on."

"When are you going to get it?" Brandon lifted his arms out to his sides in question. "You'll never get over her and it kills me. I just want you to be happy."

Mark patted his brother's shoulder and pulled him in for a masculine hug. "Thank you for trying to protect me. One day things will be different, better I hope. Until then I have you," he kissed Brandon's head laughed.

Brandon groaned, swatting Mark on the ear, "Get off me!"

"I love you, man." Mark made it to his SUV and waved his brother off.

"See you at Sunday brunch!" He called back with a wink. "Mom can't wait to hear about your trip!"

"Ugh!" Mark yelled.

"Yea," Brandon laughed. "She's gonna give you hell!"

~~~~~~~~~~~

Author's Note: One of my favorite musicians is Dan Mangan. If you haven't listened to his music, read this chapter while listening to "So Much For Everyone" & then head over to YouTube to listen to the rest of his library. (But leave a vote & a comment here first!) ~ B