Chapter 3

Aro knew something has changed with his wife the moment she stepped foot into the castle premises.  It was something that not many vampires can tell. The trials today took longer than usual, somehow there were more vampires pardoned than vampires who were punished. He was already pissed before the trials, it didn't help that there were far more commotions in the vampire world than usual.

We can all say that this wasn't a great day for Aro. First, he missed his day out with his wife; second, a vampire spat at him (it was venom); third, a newborn almost caused a commotion out in the square, and now he sees his wife in front of him with her clothes smelling like smoke and her eyes avoiding contact.

He held out his hand for Sulpicia to take, which she did albeit hesitantly.

One touch and he knew.

His milky eyes stared at his wife for a couple of second. A flash of anger and worry flicker through his eyes. He saw it all, the fire and the lady with prior knowledge of their existence.

Then he read her thoughts back by the creek. The feeling of uselessness. The longing of purpose. They were vampires who had all the time in the world and somehow it still wasn't enough for her.

Aro did not know what to think. For the first time in over thousands of years, he did not know what to say. Here was his wife who was contemplating the advantage of vampirism, if it ever was an advantage.

Aro felt a small tug of regret for imprisoning her wife in the tower.

It's for her protection!

It's not anymore...

Aro knew that she was feeling this way because of being stuck in the tower for hundreds of years without complaint. His wife and Athenadora stayed there for centuries upon centuries. At first it was bearable for them, they did lots of things to ease their boredom. They painted, though it was more Caius's field than theirs. They've knitted over a thousand of tarps and sheets. They've tried quilting as a gift for their husbands which both male accepted gratefully. They've read all the books that were given to them. But those weren't enough.

These past centuries they just sit there in their comfy sofas, eyes unfocused and almost dead looking. They start on an activity within the room like playing chess, but they will never finish it. They had never finish anything.

He saw it all. How they lived in the tower without them. He felt what she felt.

Never ending content.

Day after day of contentment and it somehow starts to bug the coven leader. Why was he only seeing this now?

Right. He was so focused with his happiness with his wife that he barely recognized that there was no other thought in his wife's head than contentment and happiness, the latter being only triggered every time he visits her.

There were barely any conversation between the two wives. If ever they did, it ends quickly.

It was so much happier when his sister was here. The three wives were all really close. She makes them happy, she makes everyone around her happy, she makes Marcus happy. Too happy.

She had to go!

No she didn't...

For the first time Aro was doubting himself. Doubting his decisions for the past couple of hundred years.

"Aro?" Sulpicia stared worriedly at his husband who stood stiffly while holding her hand. His eyes were unfocused, not so new to see, but these unseeing eyes are far too long to ignore.