~ Chapter 4 ~ An Important Promise ~

Waiting for dinner on the couch was me and Alex.
"You have a nice a house," he said. "Very you."
"Thanks," I replied with a smile. "I guess it is very me, isn't it?"
He nods his head, making me chuckle. I don't know why, though. Certain things about him made me feel certain things.
We were literally only sitting on the couch for about a minute when my mom already called us to the table for dinner.
Alex and I strolled into the kitchen, and sat on the soft cushioned chairs. My mom carried a dish of something scrumptious smelling to the centre of the table. Every night, my mom's cooking almost made me drool. It gets better and better.
"That smells delicious, Sharon," Alex very politely told my mother. Wow. He's really good with manners.
"Aw, thanks," my mother replied, sweetly smiling at him. "I don't get enough of that kindness," she says jokingly, elbowing over at me. Alex chuckles and looks at me for a moment.
"Hey!" I tell my mom. "You know that I adore your cooking. It's wonderful. I just never tell you because I'm too lazy to tell you everyday."
"Yeah. And I'm too lazy to not cook every day," she says, knowing that she had an excellent comeback.
"Good one," I tell her truthfully. My mom is definitely a cool mom. She was one of the younger acting cool moms. Even if she was weird at some times, she's definitely a great mother. I don't think that I could have a better one.
"Oh, speaking of good ones, where's you father? He's probably upstairs working," my mom says and scurries over to the stairs to go find my dad for dinner. I look over at Alex, and he seems to stiffen up. He clears his throat, and lightly scrapes his fork onto the blank plate.
I watch him and smirk. "Are you afraid of dads?" I ask, and he glances up at me. "He wont murder you. It's not like we're dating or anything." I quickly regret my words. I blush and slightly look down, and he looks a little bashful.
"I know," he replies. "Girl's dads always frighten me. I mean, not that I meet very many girl's dads, but when I do, I get nervous. I feel like they think I'm a bad influence."
I chuckle. "You? A bad influence? I don't think so. Don't be worried. My dads really cool. He's all bro with any guy that I introduce him to, not that I have very many guys to introduce my dad to," I say, almost speaking the exact works of Alex in that last part.
"So you have cool parents?" He says with a smirk. "I've always liked those. They're rare, actually. You're lucky."
"Yeah. I'm very lucky." I mean, I'm lucky that these parents adopted me instead of other ones who could be abusive. Anyone would be lucky to have my parents.

Then my parents come running into the kitchen, and my dad has a smile on his face, excited to eat. Then, he shifts his gaze over to the chair beside me, where Alex politely sat, making him grin even more. My parents are people persons. They absolutely love talking to people and meeting new people. Even if there was a boy beside me who could possibly be a bad-influence boyfriend of mine, they were still glad to meet the boy. My parents are very supportive and understanding people, who don't start with bad assumptions.

"Who's this young man?" my dad asks as he sits in his seat. "He looks great."
"Thanks," Alex replys. "I'm Alex. Wren's new friend."
My dad chuckles at that one. "Wow. That almost rhymes. 'Wren's new friend'. That sounds good to me."

"It is good," my mother chips in. "He even called me by my first name. He called me Sharon instead of Mrs. Motgomme. He's amazing." We all knew how my mom felt about being called by the first name.

My mom sits down in her usual seat which is close to my father and across from me.

"Really?" my father asks. He then looks over at my new friend. "So you'll call me David, then?"

"Of course," Alex replys with a smile.

My father looks over at me happily. "I like this kid."

"Me too", my mother adds, nodding enthusiastically.

"Good, then he'll be around a lot," I say, looking over at Alex with a grin.

"Not too often, though," Alex quickly says. "I wouldn't like to bother you guys."