Invasion of France and the Low Countries

Almost a year after the invasion of Poland, the German army had its sights on France. On May 10,1940, the German army(or the Wehrmacht) pushed through the Ardennes and then among the Somme to cut off Allied troops that had advanced into Belgium and destroyed the Allied troops there. With Belgium under German control, Hitler sent his panzer divisions into the Netherlands using the Blitzkrieg and conquered it quickly. The Wehrmacht conquered Luxembourg in less then a day with no casualties(that is actually true, only one German soldier got wounded). In the beginning phase of conquering France, the Wehrmacht used the Blitzkrieg and the Luftwaffe, which at the time was the most modern air force in the world. The Germans used the weakness that the French used the mobile units operation was inferior to the Germans, so the French could not react quickly enough. Also the French army had inferior weapons and used out of date ideas on warfare. They never gave much though to armored units such as tanks and armored cars or aviation. The state of training was also unbalanced,training men only to guard fortifications and used trench warfare. The Germans went from the side of the Marigot Line and surprise attacked the enemy from behind,destroying the French forces. Also during that time,Italian forces and a german armored units attacked the Southern part of France. The Italians captured Corsica and went with the German units and pushed West and the bottom part of France. Britsih troops were sent to help the French units but were destroyed by the Blitzkrieg and the remaining French,Belgian,Canadian and British units retreated to Dunkirk,France. Military vessels,tugs,fishing boats,landing craft,battleships and even civilian vessels, helped carry the Allied troops and the little supplies they could carry, from Dunkirk under enemy fire. On June 22,1940. France was divided into German occupation zone in the north and west and a "free zone" in the southern part of France. Italy also gained a small zone in the south as well. The Allies were pushed back to England, where Hitler would begin the invasion of England.