22

"The end."

"Read it again mama.", Miles said as he cuddled into me. It had been a week since he had been in the hospital due to having smoke in his lungs. He's getting better but he hates it. He wants to come home but can't until the doctors give us the okay that he's safe to come home. "Mommy, I don't like this in my nose.", Miles said as he tried to take his nose tube off. "No baby, you need that to get better.", I tell him as I stop him from taking it out.

"But it's itchy.", he whines. "I know baby. But it's putting oxygen into your body so you have to keep it on.", I tell him. He just whines and puts his head on my arm. I was laying in the hospital bed with him cause he needed the comfort. "Guess who's back with food !", Nick said as him and Daya barged in. "Food !", Daya said as she clapped her hands.

Miles smiled and sat up. "I got six nuggets with BBQ sauce for my boy.", Nick said as he gave Miles his happy meal. "I got four nuggets with ranch for my sweet baby girl.", Nick said as he gave Daya her food. "And I got six buttermilk crispy tenders for my beautiful and sexy wife.", Nick said as he handed me my food. "Thank you baby.", I say as we share a long wet kiss. "Ewww.", Miles said.

"Hush, and eat your food.", Nick said as he bit into his McChicken. "So what does the doctors say ?", Nick asked me. "They say he'll be able to come home in about a week.", I say as I grab his hand. "That's so amazing.", Nick said as he smiled at me and kissed me softly. We heard a soft but frantic knock at the door. We turned to see Alexys. She shouldn't be here. She had court yesterday and she should be arrested.

"C-Can I see him ?", she asked as she scratched the inside of her arm really fast. "Fuck no.", Nick said. "I'm calling the nurse.", I say as I reach for the button. "No, please ! Don't call them.", she cried. "First of all, why you skipped your court date ?", Nick asked her. "I w-wanted to see M-Miles one more time.", she said. "Alexys, can I have a word with you ? Outside ?", I ask her.

She didn't have a choice. I get out of the hospital bed with Miles and then drag Alexys outside with me. "I see you're still using.", I say as I cross my arms. "What's it to you ?", she said rudely. "I may not be Miles's real mother but he sure does need me more than you. You know how shitty you made Nick feel when he found out you were using again and you put your kid in a hospital from it ?", I snap at her.

"He should feel like shit. Leaving me for you.", Alexys said in a very toxic tone. "And from the looks of it, he did the right thing don't you think ?", I ask her as I show her my wedding ring. "Fuck you !", she spat at me. "Nick does a great job doing that, but anyways, I'm here to get the real story out of you.", I say to her. "You lied to the cops, but you are not about to lie to me. So what the fuck happened to the kid ?"

"I'm not telling you anything.", she said. "You got two choices. You tell me now and walk out of here like you came in, or I can beat the shit out of you, get the true story, then call the cops. Pick one, and hurry up cause I don't like waiting.", I say as I get in her face. She was slightly shorter than me and I know she's intimidated by me. She scratches her inner arm and then looks back at me.

"I was cooking dinner. He was sitting by my feet in the kitchen with me as I was cooking and I left the stove on when I walked away to go shoot up. I didn't think anything of it cause I didn't think I was gonna pass out on the floor after I did it.", she told me. "When I woke up, the house was completely in flames and there were firefighters spraying water everywhere. A fireman picked me up and took me out the house and that's when I saw Miles being put inside an ambulance truck."

"So fucking careless.", I say as I shook my head and wiped a tear that had fallen from my face. "I'm sorry.", Alexys cried. "He could've fucking died ! That fire could've killed him !", I yell at her. "You lack so much intelligence that it pisses me the fuck off !"

"I just wanna see him.", Alexys said. "You won't get to. Especially, now that you've missed your trail. So, you can  say goodbye to Miles cause you won't see him for a while.", I say as I was about to walk off. "Maybe if you truly and really get better, you'll get to see him but until then, no.", I tell her as I walk away and go back into the hospital room with Nick and the kids.

"I heard.", Nick said. I looked up at him. "I heard her tell you the story.", Nick said. "Oh. How you feel about it ?", I ask him. He thought about it for a second. "She didn't mean for Miles to be here, but she's also a dumb ass.", Nick said as he ate a fry. I chuckled lightly before placing a kiss to his cheek.

A/n ~ whew THATS a lot 😅