→ almost is never enough

I actually got sad writing this oof
Based off of 'Almost is Never Enough' by Ariana Grande & Nathan Sykes

You have your best friend, Steve. Both of you give each other advices in terms of relationships, you even had a small matching tattoo on your arms–an infinity sign that stands for your eternal friendship. He always thought it was cheesy but you convinced him to get it and he did.

You liked him, but he didn't know. Both of you were really close, even other people always mistaken you as a couple. You always wanted to confess when you two were alone, but the words always end up getting stuck in your tongue or you were interrupted by something, and you never got to say what you really feel about him.

"Hey, I need to tell you something." you avoided his gaze as you both strolled around the neighborhood. "Sure, go ahead." he muttered and fell silent to listen.

"I.."

"I like.." you felt a sudden lump on your throat, and can't say those three words you were meaning to say. "I like.. icecream! Can we get icecream please?" you smiled, trying to hide your emotions. You thought he'd notice that you were somehow off, but he didn't. "Sure, my treat." he gave you a warm smile before heading to an icecream store.

"Thank you, I owe you one next time. I'm pretty much broke today." you giggled softly as you both sat down on a booth, licking an icecream cone. "That's fine, you love icecream. I even think that you love that more than me." he pouted before licking the icecream he was holding.

He finished his cone, and you noticed he has an excess of icecream on the corner of lips. You wiped it off using your thumb, quickly licking it to not let him see and it caught him off guard. "You got.. icecream."

"Oh, oops." he chuckled and wipes his mouth with tissue that was on top of your table. He then did the same to you, making you alarmed. "You got some too." he grinned. You blushed but tried playing it off. "Oh, oops." you mimicked him and he playfully rolled his eyes.

"I had a great time, Steve. Thank you. 'Til next time."

"Yeah, me too. See you."

You both parted ways as you headed home. You had a last look at him and as soon as he was out of your sight, you felt the world collapsing upon you. What he didn't know that it was the last time you will be seeing each other. You and your family were moving to New York for you to go to college once you graduate. However, you were still hoping that that 'next time' will happen again someday.

Years passed, you were happy in your new school, made new friends and got over Steve. You now have your new boyfriend. Everything was fine and you decided to visit Hawkins again, for the memories. You met your childhood friends, but you were looking for someone specific. Steve. You haven't been in contact for the past years and you wanted to see how he looked like now and how's he doing.

I'd like to say we gave it a try
I'd like to blame it all on life
Maybe we just weren't right,
But that's a lie, that's a lie

You drove your way to his house, the party said that he still lives in the same house, where you two used to hang out every night.

You arrived at his front door, glancing on the faded tattoo you have on your arm.

And we can deny it as much as we want
But in time our feelings will show

He saw you through his window and came rushing to the door excitingly. Before you even knock, someone already opened the door, you turned your head and there he was. Steve. Your best friend how many years. Your first love–according to you. He still have the same 'perfect' hair you used to mess up but now longer and the same brown eyes you always admired and get lost into.

'Cause sooner or later
We'll wonder why we gave up
The truth is everyone knows

Your thoughts were interrupted when he pulled you for a tight hug. An embrace you've been wanting to feel from him for years, but not anymore, it was more of a good-old-friend hug. "Y/n! You never told me you were coming here!" he beamed with his heart-stopping eyes any girl could ever adore.

Almost, almost is never enough
So close to being in love

"I came to surprise you." you greeted him with a welcoming smile as he let you inside his house. You looked around, remembering every corner of his house, all the memories that were made, all happened in the same place. You both sat on the sofa, "I got our fave." you pulled out a tub of icecream and his face lit up. "You still remember!" he laughed, that same cute laugh you adored way back. "Of course."

If I would have known that you wanted me
The way I wanted you

"Still got yours?" you asked him, referring to the tattoo. You showed him your arm and he showed his too.

Then maybe we wouldn't be two worlds apart
But right here in each others arms

You both enjoyed talking about your lives while eating your fave icecream, reminiscing the old memories you have made and you finally decided to drop the question, "So.. you got a girlfriend now?"

He remained silent for awhile and the smile on his face faded. "No."

Your eyebrows furrowed, "Why not?"

"I waited," he mumbled.

"What?"

"I waited, for you."

Here we almost, we almost knew what love was

What you didn't know was he also loved you even before you moved, but was afraid to tell what he feels incase something goes wrong and might lose your friendship. He kept it to himself and when he knew that you were moving, he regretted that he didn't speak up and tell you what he really feels on the last day you saw each other–in the icecream store. He cried in his room every night until the kids reached out to him and helped him get better. And when he heard that you now have someone new, it's like a thorn impaled on his heart.

But now he moved on, he felt that heaviness over his shoulder was gone. You were now both happy in your own paths, and still remained as best buddies.

It was an almost relationship, only if you both had the confidence to tell each other what you feel. You loved each other, you always do. But that love will never be the same way again as before.

But almost is never enough

"Thank you for today, Steve. I had a great time. See you." you smiled from ear to ear.

"Yeah, thank you too. 'Til next time, Y/n." he flashed one last smile before closing the door and admired you through his window while you reunite with the kids, all grown up, giving you tight hugs.

After all, almost is never enough.