Chapter Five

“It’s funny,” John said to Willow as they walked. The two rounded a curb. “I dreampt of something strange.”

“Don’t we all?” Willow said, glancing at the grey chipped sidewalk that was rather warm from the rising sun.

John sighed at her reply, but continued. “I dreamt of me being the pilot of a blue box. Like those old Police Boxes you see in movies.”

Willow perked up and leaned in closer with interest. “Really?” 

“You were there, I think. Yes. No,” he bunched up his face, deep in thought. “You were my friend and we traveled together, it was amazing-” he stopped talking when he saw Willow’s face. An unintentional look of smugness was splayed on her features. “It sounds stupid,” he said whilst shaking his head. 

Willow bit her lip. “No, not at all, John.”

John looked down at her softly. “You’re too kind to me,” he said, grinning. “I sound crazy, talking about dreams and us in a box.”

She slowly met his gaze with a desperate smile. “It’s less crazy than you think,” she said, trying to jog his mind. 

His tongue traced his lips as if he considered the concept of it all, but his eyes flashed like something inside waved the idea away. “No. It isn’t possible,” he finally said, his tone stern. 

Willow sucked in a breath of disappointment and played with the ends of her brown curls. She squinted at the bright sun. 

“It’s quite hot, isn’t it?” John asked, changing the subject. 

Willow nodded. “Very.” She fumbled with her nails. “Can we go inside now?”

John looked down at her with those delicate brown eyes and frowned. “Already?”

“Yes,” Willow said plainly, not in the mood for playing around with this stranger. 

She turned and wordlessly walked back to the apartment, letting herself brew in the silence that had now grown between them. 

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

“Willow, I’m sorry. I’m so so sorry,” the recording began for the fifth time that evening. 

Willow sat silently in the powered down TARDIS as she watched the tape. “...well, technically I have no time to explain and me telling you this is using up the time that I don’t even have… anyway!”

She let out an exhale and a small smile at his rapid thinking mind. 

“...I can’t exactly shake them, hence the bumpy ride…”

Willow watched as he flicked random switches. 

“You never could fly the TARDIS properly, could you Doctor?” She laughed. 

“Now, I may not be able to remember… things-”

Willow pressed a button and the video skipped forward. 

“The TARDIS has programmed a life and a backstory that both you and I will be in when I become… human.”

“No shit,” Willow murmured into her palm before reaching out and fast forwarding. 

“Now, if you need me, if they find us… take this w-”

For the fifth time, the video glitched and cut to the Doctor crying out in agony. Willow quickly paused the video and pulled her legs to her chest. 

“Take what?” Willow shoved her hair away from her face in frustration. “Take what, Doctor? How can I help if I don’t know what I need?” 

She scoffed, shunning herself for expecting a response. 

Willow grabbed her phone from the console and replayed the video. She tapped the record button while hitting the play button on the TARDIS’ keyboard.

She captured all of it, except for the end. She pressed the button to end the recording and held the phone to her chest. 

At least she’d have a piece of him with her in this place with… John.

 Willow stood up and pushed her phone into her pocket. She looked at the TARDIS once more before closing the door behind her. 

She went up to the apartment, and found that it was empty. John had gone to the interview he had spoken about during breakfast. She hadn’t even wished him luck.

Willow took out her phone to charge, but the video of the Doctor began to play as she did so.

“Be brave Willow.”

Willow pursed her lips and let out a hefty sigh. The Doctor needed her to look after him.

“I’ll play along. Just for you, Doc.” 

She could do this. As long as things didn’t go too far… she could do this.