Chapter Eleven

It was about 7 o'clock in the morning when Willow had woken up. She couldn't lay there for a minute longer, her mind didn't allow it, even though the bed relieved the tightness in her back that the couch gave her. Carefully, she arose and shifted her weight to the edge of the bed. She was on the verge of leaving when she felt a soft hand fall onto her own.

"Don't get up yet. I'm comfortable like this," he murmured in a husky tone. He lazily brought his other hand to his tousled brown hair, attempting to smooth it down.

That itself almost made Willow crawl back in the sheets, but she put her foot down. She began to make her side of the bed with resignation.

"You are very endearing when you're half asleep," she commented as she pulled a sweatshirt over the shirt she'd worn to bed. "But I've got things to do. We've got things to do."

John rubbed his eyes before getting up from the bed. "What things?"

"You've got work, John," she reminded him. "A job." Willow watched as he tilted his head at her before widening his brown eyes.

"I've got work!" he suddenly shouted. He threw off his shirt and put on a clean one.

Willow trailed behind him before splitting off into the kitchen. She knew she couldn't cook anything, so she poured him a bowl of cereal instead.

Chef of the year, Willow thought.

She handed it to him and he quickly finished the bowl. By the time he'd done all of this, it was 7:30.

"I've gotta go," John shouted, throwing the bowl into the sink before grabbing a small briefcase Willow hadn't even remembered taking out of the TARDIS.

John made a beeline for the door, turned the handle, and froze.

"Oh, sorry, is Willow Watterson here?" a familiar voice said.

"For god's sake," Willow muttered before swinging the door open, revealing Captain Jack. "Yes Jack, I'm here."

"You're that bloke from the diner," John recalled, his voice cold.

Jack nodded. "Indeed I am. Sorry about that, by the way. I was just swinging by to do a... thing."

Willow stepped forward. "Yeah, me and Jack here were going to reminisce and do things that old time high school friends do, right Jackie boy?"

Jack raised his eyebrows, but continued the lie. "Right. I vividly remember the day Willow got smacked in the face with a dodgeball in gym class. Classic," he smirked at her.

"Anyways, there's no need to worry, I'll just entertain our guest while you're gone," Willow said between clenched teeth, as she pushed John out the door and pulled Jack in.

"Alrighty then, bye!" She said, overly cheerily. John stopped the door with his shoe and looked her in the eye.

"Bye Will," he said as he pulled her in for a kiss. And with that, he was gone.

Willow waited a moment before turning around and looking at Jack, who had drawn his lips in a tight line.

"You kissed him," Jack said.

Willow walked past him, fiddling with her nails as she did so. "And what about it?"

"You do know that he's going to have to... you know."

Willow's shoulders stiffened at his implication. "Of course. And I'll be ready to let go when it comes to that."

Jack flicked eyebrows up quickly, like he didn't believe her.