Chapter 12

The man didn't wake, it had been two days, he drank the water and broth she fed him through a cloth. Walking back to camp from a small hunt, she frowned slightly at the sight of the broad man looking around camp.

"Who are you?" He asked her, "Why am I naked?" He added as he held the blanket over himself.

"Who are you?" She asked, trying to make her voice low by shoving a handful of berries into her mouth.

"Oliver Carrington, I'm a ranger, I was ambushed by some thugs that were headed to Duncaster." He said seriously, his blue eyes narrowing at her. "I need to get there...now..." His voice began to fade as he was struggling to stay conscious.

"You are in no shape to travel." She mumbled to him.

"No...I'm...Going." He started to try get up and she panicked in realisation that he would probably not catch the blanket if it started to fall.

"SIR! SIT DOWN." Sabrina commanded then, dropping her fake voice and removing her hat as he laid back down on his side.

"You're a woman?" Oliver asked in surprise. "Why are you dressed as a man?" He asked her.

"Its safer to travel dressed as a man." She moved to cut up the rabbit and throw it into the small pot she had.

"Fair enough, you got a name Miss?" He questioned her, watching as she sat down next to him.

"Cora Miles." She told him as she handed him a few berries.

"That's not your name." Oliver mumbled around the sweet fruits. "You don't look like a Cora." He added.

"Fine, what about Amelia?" Sabrina said with a slight smile, "You can leave once you are better." She told him.

"Nope, I got a woman to propose to, and brothers to see." Oliver said with a shake of his head. "And she just might shoot me if she found out I spent the night with a former brothel worker." He said seriously.

"I'm not a brothel worker, and I never have been." She said with a shake of her head. "How far away is Duncaster?" She asked him.

"I'm not sure, I was about five hours away before darting into the woods to try get away." Oliver admitted as he placed his hand on his head. "We should be close." He added.

Sabrina looked up at the sky. "It's going to rain...I can either build a shelter or try get you to town." She remarked to him. She desperately needed to bathe, and he needed medical care, least his wounds become infected. She had kept the stitches clean, but it was too much of a task to keep shooing away ants and bugs.

"I'd appreciate it if we could try get to town." Oliver told her.

"We'll eat, and then I'll get you to town, alright." Sabrina said seriously. "I'm not stopping, even if you pass out." She warned him.

"That's fine with me." He mumbled in exhaustion. "What happened to you hair? Did you sell it?" He asked her.

Sabrina ran her hand through her short hand, "No, I didn't." She mumbled to him.

Oliver fell silent and she could feel him studying her.

"Rylan Black is a dangerous man, Sabrina Greco. You are lucky to be alive." He told her and she looked at him in surprise.

"How did you know?" Sabrina asked him.

"I'm a Ranger, it's my job to handle men like Rylan Black, and I know he is looking for you. I heard about what he did to you." He said seriously. "Why did he torture you?" He added.