Chapter 13

"I've got your belongings, I cannot believe you still have your bag." Lincoln remarked as he walked into the kitchen.

"I am fortunate it wasn't stolen when I was on the train." Sabrina explained to him.

"I doubt you'd let someone steal it from you." Lincoln remarked as he set it on the table.

"Well I was unconscious, so stealing my bag was pretty low on the list of things that could happen to me." Sabrina said with a shrug.

"What?! What happened?" He demanded with a glower.

She pulled up her shirt, showing him the ugly scar across her side.

"Who did this to you? Who did all of this?" He asked as he moved to stand in front of her, his hand going to her short hair.

She let her shirt drop as she smacked his hand away. "Rylan Black got a hold of me. I have him to thank for all of this." She explained as she showed him her arms.

He exhaled loudly, his face a scowl of anger. "How about you get out of those wet clothes, and we'll talk more. Are you hungry? I'll make you something to eat." He seemed to be making up his mind as he went and she picked up her bag.

"Where can I get changed?" She asked him.

"Here, you can use Eric's study for now." Lincoln explained as he grabbed the lantern off the table and showed her to the small room down the hall.

"Who is Eric? Is he another one of your brothers?" Sabrina asked him in confusion.

"He's the doctor currently cleaning Oliver's wounds. And he's Sebastian's brother in law." Lincoln clarified as he paused by the door, "Get changed, we'll talk soon." He added.

Her bag had barely kept the rain out, so her top layers of men's clothes were wet but her dress was still neatly folded and dry.

Wiggling into it, she wrapped the shawl around her shoulders before picking up her wet clothes. Opening the door, she paused in surprise when she saw Lincoln leaning on the wall across the hall.

"Here, I'll hang these up in front of the fire. That looks nice, when did you buy that?" He asked as he swept the wet clothes from her arms.

"Oh, a friend made it for my birthday." Sabrina explained as she picked up her wet beg.

"When was your birthday?" He brushed past her to grab the lantern and lead her back to the kitchen.

"May 15th." She said simply as she watched him pull across a small wire to hang up the clothes near the stove top.

"So only about a month ago." He remarked in surprise as he started to hang up her wet clothes for her. "Was it a happy birthday?" He asked her as she moved to hang up the other clothes that were wet in her bag.

"For once, it was." Sabrina admitted with a slight smile.

"I am glad to hear it." Lincoln said seriously as he turned to face her. "Maybe you should have stayed with me." He remarked to her.

"You said you were going to sell me to Rylan Black." She frowned in distrust at him. "And you said that I deserved anything that fate gave me?!" She snapped at him, confused to why he was being so nice to her.

He grimaced at that, "I know, I am sorry for what I said to you." He said as he rubbed the back of his neck. "Jesse said he was going to take you with him, I thought you would be safe." He said in confusion.

Emotion hit her then and she struggled to stop from crying, backing away from him, she moved to the far side room and lent on the wall.