•Chapter 1•

"TANNER!!!" yelled Kiera as she jumped on my back. I stumbled, almost falling over from the impact. This girl is basically my daily dose of medicine, and I just can't get enough.

"Geez Kiera!" I exclaimed. "You couldn't have given me a warning could ya?!" She started to laugh at my reaction.

"Where's the fun in that?" she questioned teasingly. I could practically hear the smile in her voice. Class had just ended, signalling the start of fall break. Everyone was buzzing with excitement because come on. The only real reason I keep coming to school is because of Kiera. I even came on snow days knowing that I get to spend time with her. But then again, what teenager doesn't love no school?

I should probably introduce myself. My names Tanner. I'm just your typical 16 year old boy trying to get through high school. And that girl that jumped on my back, that's Kiera. She's been my best friend since 8th grade. Needless to say, we are very close. I can't imagine us not being friends but what if I want to be more than friends? Would she want that?

"Got any plans for the break?" I asked Kiera.

"Oh you know, watching Netflix, hanging out with Chris, the usual." She replied. Chris is Kiera's boyfriend of six months. She claims they are still going strong but personally, I think they should just break up already.

"Oh, that's cool. Hey, do you need a ride home?" I asked, silently praying she says yes.

"Thanks for the offer, but Chris and I are going over to my place to hang out." Damn it.

It's bad enough already that I don't get to spend as much time with her as I used to, with Chris always around and such. But even then, when were the farthest apart, I can't help but feel closer than ever.

"Oh. Ok," I replied slightly disappointed. "Text me later tonight then."

"Ok! See you later!" she replied, heading over to Chris' car. I started off towards my car. All I wanted now was to get home.

Why couldn't I get this girl out of my mind? I've never felt this way before. I guess I never really viewed her as a crush. No that can't be it, she is just a really great friend that I.. Like maybe even love? Oh god no. This can't be happening.

The whole way home all I could think about is why she's with Chris, and not with me.....