Me and My Stubborn Personality

[Chapter 28]

"You think Hunter can pull this off?" Mick asked Hex as we stood in town and waited for the gang that took Jax to show up.

"Reasonably. If not, I got dibs on that new-fangled revolver of his," Hex said as a group of horses rode into town. I spot Jax sitting on a horse in the middle of the group with ropes around him.

"You sure about this?" Ray asked Rip uncertainly.

"Well, if anything, it feels good to be out here again, in this era," Rip replies.

"Well, don't get too attached," Ray states.

"That is what I keep telling myself," Rip whispered to himself as Leonard points his weapon at the gang.

"I'll be drawing for Sheriff Palmer," Rip called out to them. I honestly don't understand what he means. I have no love for the old west.

"How do me and my boys know you're going to keep your word?" The leader asks gruffly.

"Sheriff Palmer's a straight shooter," Leonard replies.

"Then he should be the one in the street," The gang leader replies and I nearly laugh. I honestly can't see Ray killing someone. No matter how 'evil' they are inside.

Rip and the gang leader walk into the middle of the street and stood face to face for a few moments before both drawing their weapons.

Everything went dead silent. I half expected an eagle to screech or something to break the silence. It felt as if the whole town was holding their breath. The standoff felt like it was taking forever.

Just when I was gonna shout for Rip to hurry his ass up, our captain took the first shot and killed the gang leader. The surprised gang reluctantly returned Jax to us.

"Jefferson, are you all right?" Stein asks frantically.

"Yeah, did you just shoot somebody for me?" Jax asks Rip as the gang grabbed their leader and rode off with their defeat.

"Yeah. You're welcome," Rip said.

"I don't think we're done here yet," I say walking forward with Sara as a group of armed men came walking into town.

"Oh, no. They found us," Rip said looking at the Hunters.

"Ah, friends! Welcome," Mick said grinning as the hunters started shooting at us.

"I think you'll find this slightly more effective than your current sidearm. Yes, I will be wanting that back, by the way," Rip said handing Hex a laser gun.

"And you'll be needing this," Rip said handing Ray his suit.

"What about revealing our future tech to the locals?" Ray asks

"It doesn't seem to bother them. Shall we?" Stein asked as Jax and they merged to form Firestorm. Kendra took flight and I race forward. Sara tosses me a knife and I smile at her and catch it. She pulls out her expandable baton and we split up.

"What about our guns?" Leonard asked as I attacked one of the hunters and tackled him to the ground.

"Sorry. Grabbed what I could," Rip replied as he shot one of the hunters who was about to shoot me.

"That's what's up! Y'all better stay the hell away from us!" Jax said as he blew up of the hunters.

"Calm down Jefferson," Martian chastises. I throw the knife into a hunter that was targeting me but another one quickly took his place.