Chapter 7

My heart started to thrum painfully against my chest as I got out of the passenger side of the car, clutching Chucky in both arms like a shy toddler holding their favorite teddy bear.
"C'mon," my mom murmured encouragingly, putting a hand on my shoulder and gently guiding me forward.
My dad got out of his car and followed close behind. We entered the dimly lit clinic, empty of any people. The faint smell of medicine and leather lingered as we got on the elevator and up to the third floor. Walking down a narrow hallway, a rough, older-looking man shuffled past us and out of sight.
We walked through a door leading to a small waiting room, and my dad and I sat down as my mom checked us in.
I rested my chin on Chucky's head, looking around the room nervously. A boy a bit older than me sat across from us, and when I caught his eye he held the stare. He looked down at Chucky, then back up at me, narrowing his eyes in disbelief presumably at the thought that someone my age would be carrying a doll around.
My cheeks burned with embarrassment and I looked down, hugging Chucky closer.
"(Y/n) (L/n)," a voice called from the distance.
I looked up to see a young woman holding open a door on the other side of the room. I got up and went towards her, my mom and dad following.
She led us through another hallway, the walls and floor white, making it feel like a hospital. We then were led into another small room where a man was waiting at his desk for us.
"Hey, it's been a while since I've seen you, (Y/n)," the man got up to shake hands with my parents and I.
I managed a shy smile and sat down once more.
The man cleared his throat. "So, I've heard you've been having a hard time lately?"
I nodded.
"She's been complaining of hallucinations a lot more than usual," my mom chipped in for me.
He furrowed his brow. "Do you think there could be anything causing this?"
"N-no," I muttered. "It just started... happening."
"Hm. That's odd," he conceded.
A moment of silence passed long enough for Chucky to pipe up.
"Can you please make my b-best buddy all better?" he pleaded.
I chuckled softly and lifted him into my arms. "Shhh, it's okay, bud," I shushed him, patting his back.
This seemed to lighten the mood a bit, my parents cracking smiles and the man murmuring a single "aww".
"Don't worry, I'm gonna do everything I can to help your friend get better," he assured Chucky. "Actually, why don't we start with talking to just you, (Y/n), without your parents."
My mom and dad got up and left, carefully shutting the door behind them.
The man smiled warmly at me, then looked down at Chucky. "What's his name?"
"Chucky," I replied.
"Chucky," he repeated, nodding. "I assume you two are pretty close?"
"Yeah."
"That's good. Does he help you cope with a lot of your problems?"
"Mhm."
"Whenever (Y/n) is sad, I'll always be right by her side, because we're best buddies!" Chucky chirped.
"Aw, that's sweet," he laughed, still grinning.
A smile spread across my face as well, and at that moment I reflected on just how precious Chucky was to me. I happily gave him a squeeze and brushed some hair out of his face.
"So what's been going on recently? Are you sure nothing could be causing this sudden change in behavior?"
My happiness evaporated slowly. "Yeah, I dunno, I've just been feeling really weird lately. Sort of like I'm stuck in a dream."
"Oh? How so?"
I swallowed, my grip on Chucky tightening a little. "It's hard to explain, but, I've just felt like everything around me has been so surreal. I can't enjoy a lot of the things that I usually do, and I've been so easily stressed and anxious. I feel almost like I'm not in contact with reality anymore."
The man listened intently as I explained the past few months in detail. His expression shifted from intrigued to concerned in a matter of minutes.
Finally, after I finished, we sat in silence for a moment. He seemed to be taking in all that I had just told him, staring blankly at his desk with his eyebrows pointing down in thought. I heard the rhythmic clicking of the clock on the wall, and the occasional whir of Chucky's servos any time he moved in the slightest.
"That sounds awful. I'm sorry you've been having to deal with all that," he murmured at last. "I don't know why your hallucinations would be getting worse. It has been a few years since you've taken that brain test. Maybe it's time to revisit that?"
My blood ran cold. I hated that test. It consisted of multiple evaluations that were meant to analyze how my brain worked. The last time I took it, they weren't able to find anything too abnormal other than the obvious signs of an anxiety disorder and depression.
"Yeah, okay," I replied quietly.
"Alright, I'll have a talk with your parents about it," he said, getting up and motioning for me to follow.
We went back to the waiting room where my parents were sitting, and he called them back and told me to wait there while he talked to them.
I sat down with Chucky in my arms. Thankfully, the boy from earlier was gone. But I didn't feel any better.
"What am I gonna do, Chucky?" I murmured, resting my cheek against his head.
"What do you mean?" the doll tilted his head slightly.
"I mean, this whole thing is just so scary. I wish I didn't have to live with this kind of stuff. What if I never get better?"
He looked up at me with a sad frown. "Don't be scared, (Y/n). I don't like it when my best buddy is unhappy."
I gave a small smile and held his head under my chin, caressing his red hair. "It's okay, honey. I don't need you all sad, too."
"But you're my best buddy. I just want you to be happy."
"I know, sweetheart. But even though things get tough sometimes, as long as I have you I'll always be happy," I assured him.
He grinned his big, goofy grin, and I snorted in amusement. I hugged him closer and kissed his cheek, tears either of joy or anxiety blurring my vision.
"Everything's gonna be okay, (Y/n)," he soothed.