Chapter 8

I followed the psychiatrist's advice and ceased smoking for the month that we went without seeing one another. When it was time to visit again, I told him that I had done what he asked, but that I didn't notice much of a difference.
  In response, he increased my Quetiapine dosage once more.
  After that, I felt hopeless. I thought I was destined to become an emotionless shell of my former self, in and out of clinics for the rest of my life.
  One afternoon, I sat in the beanbag chair in my room watching TV. I numbly reached over to grab my phone and scroll through social media.
  I felt a tap on my leg.
  "(Y/n), you wanna play now?"
  Glancing down, I was met with a cheerful Chucky, grinning up at me expectantly.
  My sorrow faded into fondness, and a smile spread across my face as I leaned forward to pick him up.
  "Of course we can," I murmured, hugging him tight for a moment.
  I stood and carried him upstairs, opening the door and stepping outside. I was immediately slapped in the face by a cold gust of wind. Stumbling backwards, I retreated back inside and shut the door.
  "Jeez, I forgot it was fall! I need to get a jacket," I huffed, setting Chucky down.
  "Wait here, okay?" I told him, hurrying back downstairs to grab a large hoodie. I put it on and returned to Chucky, stepping outside once more.
  Instinctively, I wrapped my arms around his small frame in an attempt to shield him from the cold, although I knew he couldn't feel it.
  We took the usual path through the woods, but this time the leaves were tinted orange and red.
  A large, red oak leaf fluttered down in front of us. I grabbed it and handed it to Chucky. He happily accepted the item and inspected it curiously.
  After walking for a while, we came upon a recently fallen tree. It was big enough to act as a place to sit, so I sat down and set Chucky in my lap, still enveloping him in a protective cocoon.
  Wind shook the branches above, sending leaves showering down like raindrops. I shivered and squeezed Chucky tighter.
  "Brrr! I'm not sure I'm used to this weather," I complained.
  Chucky's head swiveled around at the sound of a twig snapping. A squirrel scurried across the path and up a nearby tree, an acorn in it's mouth. It reached a hole in the tree and poked it's head in, dropping the acorn before scrambling back down to the forest floor and taking off another direction.
  I smiled to myself and rested my cheek on Chucky's head. Sometimes it helped to see the creatures in the forest still thriving, despite the harder conditions they were facing as winter approached. It made me realize that I'm not the only one struggling to overcome new changes.
  "Are we having fun now?" Chucky piped.
  Chuckling, I lifted him up to my chest and nuzzled his cheek with my nose.
  "Yeah we are," I laughed.
  He smiled from ear to ear, leaning his head against mine and looking up at me adoringly.
  "Oh, you're too precious," I gushed, peppering his face with kisses.
  We sat in silence for a while, relishing each other's presence. It was so peaceful, the tranquility of it all combined with the feeling of Chucky snuggled close began to make me sleepy.
  I was snapped out of my daze by Chucky's hushed voice.
  "You're my best friend, (Y/n)," he cooed.
  I giggled and cradled him tighter. He looked up at me joyously.
  "You're my best friend, too, baby," I managed to choke out. I was overcome with the feeling of pure joy I failed to experience throughout the past few weeks of my ordeal.
  Still holding him close, I took his small hands in mine.
  "I love you so much, buddy. You've helped me through more stuff than I can even remember. I'm so thankful I have you by my side," I croaked, tears of joy blurring my vision.
  He continued to smile, curling his fingers around mine. I leaned down to kiss his forehead once more.
   "I love you, too, (Y/n)! I'm your best b-buddy until the end!" he said cheerily.
  One thing I often thought about in our friendship was the fact that we had both been hurt and used in the past. It was hard for me to imagine anyone ever being dissatisfied with Chucky's company. It hurt me to think about how Andy had treated the poor doll, failing to give him the love and affection he deserved.
  But looking at Chucky now made me realize how much he'd succeeded to overcome. Despite the things he went through, he was here with me now, me as his new best friend. He now received the care he deserved, in the life he always deserved.
  Perhaps if Chucky could do it, maybe I could, too.