Chapter 7

"What's he doing here?" Scott asked, referring to Isaac who had just walked in the door with Derek.

"I need him" my brother replied.

"I don't trust him" Scott said.

"Yeah, well, he doesn't trust you either" Isaac retorted.

"You know what? And Derek really doesn't care" My brother sassed.

"Now where's the vet? Is he going to help us or not?"

"That depends. Your friend, Jackson. Are we planning to kill him or save him?"

"Kilave him" Scott and Derek said together, making the words sound jumbled up.

"Kill him" Derek said.

"Save him" Scott glared at Derek.

"Save him" I confirmed.

Deaton brought out a big box of things and placed it on the table. Isaac reached his hand out to touch some but Derek slapped it away.

"Watch what you touch"

"So what are you? Some kind of witch?" he asked.

"No, I'm a veterinarian" Deaton answered with such a straight face I couldn't help but laugh. "Unfortunately, I don't see anything here that's going to be an effective defense against a paralytic toxin"

"We're open to suggestions" I said.

"What about an effective offense?"

"No, we already tried. I nearly took its head off. And argent emptied an entire clip into it. The thing just gets back up" Derek said.

"Has it shown any weaknesses?" Deaton asked.

"Well, one it can't swim"

"Does that go for Jackson as well?"

"No. He's the captain of the swim team" I answered.

"Essentially, you're trying to catch two people. A puppet and a puppeteer. One killed the husband, but the other had to take care of the wife. Do we know why?"

"I don't think Jackson could do it. His mother died pregnant too, and she was maybe murdered. I think he couldn't let the same thing happen to someone else" Scott informed.

"How do you know it's not part of the rules?"

"The kanima kills murderers. If Jackson kills the wife, then the baby dies too" I explained.

"Does that mean your father was a murderer?" Deaton asked Isaac.

"Wouldn't surprise me if he was"

"Hold on. The book says they're bonded, right? What if the fear of water isn't coming from Jackson, but from the person controlling him? What if something that affects the kanima also affects its master?" Deaton said.

"Meaning what?" Derek asked.

"Meaning we can catch them" I said.

Scott nodded. "Both of them"

~

"There's got to be some other way to get tickets, right?" Scott said as he, Stiles and I hopped out of the jeep.

"It's a secret show. There's only one way, and it's a secret" Stiles said.

"Hey" Matt called over to us. I rolled my eyes. "Either you guys know why no one's getting suspended after what hapnened the other day at school?"

"Just forget about it. Nobody got hurt" I shrugged.

"I-I had a concussion"

"Well, nobody got seriously hurt" Stiles said.