Unless you live under a rock...

Unless you live under a rock, you've probably heard of Marissa Meyer's novel, Cinder. If you haven't, please go read it! It's freaking awesome.

I'll admit, I was once a heretic and an unbeliever. I didn't believe that Cinder could live up to all the hype. PolandbananasBOOKS, Katytastic, PriceisWong and LOTS of other booktubers had been raving about it, but it wasn't until my friend bought me a copy, that I decided to read the novel for myself.

Now, having finished the book I hate myself for all the time I wasted reading, non-Cinder books. Yes. It was THAT good. I'm not a big fan of sci-fi, but I really enjoyed this book. Why?

Cinder is that amazing mixture of sci-fic, romance and character development. Sure, there were one or two slow parts, but for the most part, I was completely engulfed in what I was reading. At some cutesy parts, I was squealing with joy and other times, my fists were closed tight with frustration. Cinder, the protagonist, is probably one of my top 5 YA protagonists, EVER. Not just this year, but ever. The girl gets things done. Unlike me, and most teenaged girls, she never gives in to self-pity. She's witty, determined and stubborn. And only slightly annoying.

Did I mention, that the novel is also a retelling of Cinderella???? Like, how great is that?? Even though it's an age-old tale, Marissa adds her own spice to the story. There's still a ball and CInder isn't allowed to attend it, nor does she have a dazzling dress to wear to it. In Cinder, the protagonist is a futuristic New Beijing cyborg mechanic though and there is a crazy worldwide pandemic caused by a disease called leutemosis. Not to mention, the earth is on the verge of a fatal war against a Stalin-like authoritarian leader, named Queen Levana.