Chapter Four

"Anyone order breakfast?!"

The Titans turned to see a mechanical man, with several white paper bags, stepping through an inter-dimensional portal, a Boom Tube. It took a couple of seconds to unguard themselves before the teens set about helping Cyborg.

Breakfast was served.

"C-man, this is why you're our favourite Leaguer!" Beast Boy yelled out, demolishing his vegan pancakes, causing Donna to cringe in disgust.

She couldn't pull her eyes away as remnants of food separated and reshaped in the Green Boy's mouth. His ability to speak with that much food in his mouth disturbed her. Managing to tear her gaze, she prayed that none of Beast Boy's food made it her way.

"Don't worry about it," came the older hero's response. "Y'all need to keep your strength up!"

"So you're fattening us for slaughter."

All heads turned to face Robin. He sat one chair away from the head of the table; the perfect spot to observe the room.

Recovering from his shock, Cyborg found himself comparing the Waynes' similarities. The boy had an overcalculating mind with an uncanny ability to go completely unnoticed if he wished, his Father's son.

"That's not what I meant," the metal man defended with a chuckle trying to defuse the rising tension.

"Regardless, it's what this is."

"Damian, that's enough," Starfire interjected. "You are entitled to your opinion, but Cyborg is our guest and friend. You will treat him with respect."

The boy in red folded his arms across his chest and looked away in annoyance.

His Father's son indeed.

"That's ok Star, I've gotten used to the 'Bat respect'."

The two males held each other's gaze, daring one another to make the first move. It was a battle of wills that Damian was determined to win. Nightwing was the brave soul to interrupt them, calling the older members to the strategy room and leaving the rest of the Titans in uncomfortable silence.

"At least the food's good!" Superboy commented, taking a picture of his meal for all his fans to see.

"Where's Raven?" Jaime asked with an edge of concern to his voice.

Looking toward her usual spot, they saw her chair unoccupied. It had been empty all morning.

Raven's morning routine would usually consist of drinking a cup of earl grey, before meditating on the roof while watching the sunrise. Watching the birth of a new day brought her an unmatched sense of peace. To her, it meant that Good had once again conquered Evil.

Today, the teenage girl remained in her room, unable to face everyone. The precious balance of her mind was in a fragile state. She feared her powers would destabilise if she came into contact with any strong emotions, Connor and Garfield especially.

After Trigon's 'joyous' vision of Robin's death, sleep was near impossible. Like a broken record, the nightmare replayed in her mind over and over again. Perhaps keeping her distance from the Boy Wonder would protect Damian from her ever-present Father? No. That plan would make him suspicious and demand a reason for the sudden change. Of all the people she kept secrets from, the demoness hated lying to her best friend. It wasn't a habit she made lightly, but the frequency of her Father's excursions was her own fault, had to be. Clearly, she had been too distracted recently making her lose focus, giving her Father further wriggle room.

Though Raven did give thanks for Trigon's predictable behaviour; using her emotions to manipulate her was his personal pastime ever since she was a small child. He would often promise of a wholesome and caring family if she were to do his bidding. The offer was more than appealing to a lonely ten-year-old that grew up in the shadows. Azarath's destruction was the result of trusting the devil again, no matter how tempting the proposition. However, even in the deepest caverns of hell, there were still times when she fell for his lies. The promise of seeing the sky again, feeling the sun's rays and the wind's gentle touch, all things she'd not since taken for granted. The Lord of Hell could never care for her, at least, not in the way she wanted him to. He couldn't show his daughter any form of love or devotion; it just wasn't in his nature, just as it wasn't fox's to befriend a hen or a lion to a gazelle. Somethings' can't be helped.