Chapter 10

Could you come a little closer but still keep your distance?

I've been thinking it over and I'm terrified

Are you still afraid that maybe something's missing?

I want you to be honest, are you scared of heights?

Cause, oh, we might fall

-We might fall

________

Hinata hummed to herself softly as she tended to her garden. Lately, she'd been home from missions. Tsunade was deliberately giving her an easy time and easy missions.

Hinata was grateful. Now, after 8 months along in her marriage...she finally had started to feel like the Uchiha Compound was her home. And Sasuke would still take missions but not in a frenzied state like he used to do before.

He came home and they'd usually have dinner together. She learnt he liked to eat food with lots of tomatoes in them. She packed him lunches if she didn't have missions.

But they started working better together. As a unit.

He wouldn't talk much. But neither did she. The silence was no longer strained or uncomfortable. It was alright with both of them now.

"Hinata."

Her head snapped up when she heard her own name. At first she could not believe her eyes when her gaze fell on her cousin.

"Neji..." she whispered.

"Hinata." He said again, as he moved to engulf her in his arms. She stepped back. Neji stopped, as if burnt.

"Hinata?"

"Neji...what are you doing here?" she asked, quietly. All that anger, resentment and hurt came flooding back.

"Hinata...i wanted to see you. It's been a while." He said, quietly as well. Hinata nodded.

"And now you've seen that Uchiha Sasuke treats me well as i am healthy and standing. You can leave now."

Neji paled. "Hinata, I've missed you."

His voice was agonized. "So have I. But i cut off all ties with the Hyuga when i got married. And from what i hear-you're the leader."

Neji flinched visibly. "I'm your cousin."

"And I am not of your clan anymore. Please leave." She said, her cold as she took his face in. He looked healthy. Good.

"Please don't-" Neji pleaded.

"Good bye Neji." Neji stood there, frozen as she walked off towards the compound building.

_______

"Neji came today."

Sasuke looked up from his dinner plate to look at her. "Okay."

"I told him to leave."

He didn't ask why but his inquiring gaze was enough. "I-I cut off ties with the Hyuga on my wedding."

"I never asked you to do that. You can meet them still."

"I know. I was-just so angry."

"At being wed to me." He stated in a deadpan voice. She nodded.

"And you still are?"

"Angry? Well...not as much. But yes."

He nodded again and there was silence. She almost wanted him to say something. But he didn't. There wasn't anything that he was entitled to say to her.

"And you? Do you...still think we're better off...alone?" she asked. He didn't meet her eyes. But he knew what she was asking.

Do you still think you're broken beyond repair?

"Maybe." He answered finally and then looking up to see into her eyes. She looked surprised that he didn't answer with a resolute yes.

"Sasuke-kun..."

"I still believe I'm not worth...whatever you're doing. But, if your faith is still strong...I appreaciate it."

Hinata couldn't believe it. Her mouth broke into a lovely smile which made Sasuke's face morph into that barely there smile.

"Okay." she said.

He nodded and took another bite of his food. Maybe there was hope for him yet.

_____

Hinata stood on the roof of the main building, where she and Sasuke lived, to witness the sunset. She always came here to watch the setting sun. It soothed something in her to watch the scenery. And the beautiful shades of orange and yellow melting into one another-

Sasuke knew she always came on the same balcony, the highest view their compounds had to offer to watch. And today, he didn't know why something compelled him to come too. To see what the hell attracted her to the setting sun so much.

Maybe he could-

He shook his head. There was nothing like that for him. No rest for the wicked, he told himself. Hinata seemed to be immersed in watching the scene unfold. So immersed that she didn't even notice him. He decided not to interfere with her cathartic activity.

Instead, he leaned against the nearby wall, watching her instead of the sunset. Her midnight blue hair (eerily reminding him of his mother's) were blowing slightly with the breeze and her bangs caressed her face gently.

And that slight smile on her face he could see from this angle where her face was only partially visible, seemed so peaceful. He was taken aback slightly. How?

Just how did she manage to be so at peace with everything despite everything that had happened to her?

And he knew it was stupid. And that he couldn't possibly hope for it anymore.

But at that moment, the rays of a dying sun bathing him in it's fading light, as he looked at her...he felt something close to peace. Finally.

__________

Author: Sooo, how's it going? XD

Thank you so much, to all the people who've come to love this story. ILY guys. This wasn't supposed to be this long actually. I remember writing the one-shot and now we're at Chapter 10.

Anyways, since all of keep demanding more, i wrote 3 more chapters but I'm unsure if I should add them or not. Anyways, let me know what you thought about the chapter. And until next time..

Bye