Chapter 20

Where do you think you're going

it's so late, late, late

What's wrong?

I said I can't stay

Do I have to give a reason?

It's just me, me, me

It's what I want

-Takeaway (The Chainsmokers)
__________
Sasuke didn't remember falling asleep, but when he woke up, the first thing he realized was that the nightmares that had been plaguing him for the past 2 months, hadn't bothered him again. And he'd slept late, something new for him.

The second thing was, Hinata was sleeping next to him. She was on the other side of his bed, her face turned towards him and the light from the windows bathing her face in it's soft lighting. 

Something softened inside him as he gazed at her sleeping. Tender moments like this made him want to hold on tighter instead of letting go. It made him question why he was being idiot enough to even think of letting her go.

Then, he remembered all the reasons which crashed upon him. The main one being how Konoha suffocated him. And how everyone he loved simply died. And he knew he wouldn't and couldn't stay sane if she died.

That thought was enough to sour his mood and make him get out of bed to go and shower. He probably would be able to get another mission if he asked. There was no shortage of enemies of Konoha, even now. They were just harder to spot these days.

He dressed and walked out into the Kitchen. He made himself a light breakfast and decided to leave some for Hinata whenever she woke.

Then, he collected his weapons and walked out the door, fully prepared for another mission to be assigned to him. He reached the Hokage tower in a matter of minutes. Reaching Tsunade's office, he walked in without bothering to knock.

Naruto was leaning on the table, head in both his hands while Tsunade droned on about something. She looked up when Sasuke entered.

"Not you again." She groaned. "Where's my sake'?". Naruto looked back to see who could have aroused such a reaction from their Hokage except him.

"Ah, Sasuke." He grinned. "You're early."

"And you look miserable." Sasuke noted. "What the hell are you doing here?" 

"Well, Granny Tsunade is stepping down soon." Naruto said, casting the woman in question a cutting glance "And Kakashi sensei's being appointed as the next Hokage, I'm going to have to train for Hokage with someone."

"Finally." Sasuke smirked when Tsunade glared at him.

"The best thing about stepping down will be when I don't have to deal with the stick up your ass every time you want to run from your marital problems." Tsunade smirked back.

"Marital problems?" Naruto's face looked curious while Sasuke's face darkened.

"Shut up, you old hag." Sasuke muttered. "I'm here for a mission, not chit chat."

"Still hell-bent on taking that mission from Hell?" Tsunade asked, taking a long sip from her sake'. Sasuke raised an eyebrow, as if to tell her what do you think.

"Gah, you're a dumbass." Tsunade decided before she shook her head in disappointment.

"As much as I enjoy someone other than me being labelled as the dumbass, what mission are you talking about?" Naruto asked, now looking serious.

"You know, the 6 year one. Gathering intel, travelling like a heathen to pieces of shit for towns, stuff like that." Tsunade informed Naruto whose face changed into anger and concern.

"Teme, what the fuck? Don't tell me you're actually considering this." Naruto growled.

"Why not? I'm the best man for this job." He said, nonchalantly.

"Apparently." Tsunade said, voice dripping with sarcasm. "Is your village really so bad you'll take anything, anything over it?"

"You don't understand." Sasuke tried, taking in a deep breath.

"Fuck you, Sasuke." Naruto said, coming to grip Sasuke's collars. "What about Hinata-chan?"

"She'll be better here." Sasuke told him, ripping his hands off his collars before glaring back. "This is her home, after all."

"I can't imagine her agreeing to this." Naurto said, raising a brow. Sasuke averted his gaze.

"Because I haven't told her yet."

"Wow." Tsunade said, her voice full of wonder and sarcasm at the same time. "God forbid if you tell your wife, let alone ask her if she's okay with you leaving."

"It's my life and my personal matter with her. I'll tell her after you confirm." He told Tsunade. Naruto was looking heart-broken by now.

"Teme, don't pull away because you're scared." He pleaded. "I've always stood by you...but if you hurt her...I won't be standing by your side."

Sasuke clenched his jaw, turning back to Tsunade. She sighed, taking another sip of her sake' before she spoke.

"Tell you what, take a break for a month. Spend time with your wife. Talk to her, and I'll offer you the mission by the end of the month. If you still want to take it, it's yours."

"You won't be Hokage by then." Sasuke said, frustrated by now. Tsunade smirked.

"No, I'll still have the liberty to assign this particular mission to whoever the hell I want." Tsunade told him. "Now, take this offer or stay in Konoha forever while I brand you with a seal."

"As if." Sasuke scoffed. Naruto seemed to be deciding what to say when Sasuke spoke again.

"Fine, but your cheap match-making skills don't work on me." He said, referring to the Daimyo mission.

"Sure they do." Tsunade smirked, leaning back in her chair. "You're still here, aren't you".

And Sasuke realized the old hag had learned something about manipulation in her lifetime.

________

"Are you leaving again?" Hinata's meek voice greeted him as soon as he stepped foot in the house. He turned to see her standing, as is prepared to take another blow to her emotions when he would say yes inevitably.

He felt a wave of sadness go through his heart when he heard her tone. He snapped his Kunai Holster as he took it off and let it fall to the floor as he took off his sandals before walking towards Hinata, who stood with her head down.

"No." He said, placing his hands on her shoulders, a small smile making its way on his face on the memory of last night. Hinata's head snapped up at the single worded answer before a tentative joy sparkled in her eyes as she looked at him.

Sasuke wished he could reassure her with something stronger but all the reasons for leaving struck him again and he rested his forehead on Hinata's head. "Not yet."
_______
For I love you, 

I'm gonna leave you, 

Even if i'm not here to stay

I still want your heart