Chapter 16

Nate hurried back to the house. He had been in a meeting about pack security. I had already gone back inside and locked the back door. He came inside and checked to make sure I was okay, then went out back to try and catch the scent.

I buried my face in my face in my hands, trying to keep calm. Nate will catch him. Everything will be okay. I kept repeating that to myself, hoping it was true.

About ten minutes later, Nate finally contacted me, "It's okay, Delilah. We're bringing him in for questioning right now."

I relaxed a little, "Who is it?"

"Max." He replied with a growl, "A member of the pack who I grew up with."

The fact that I had never met him scared me, "Let me come with you."

"No." He said sternly, "I don't trust him and I wouldn't put you through that."

"Please," I begged, "I need to know why he did that."

After a few more arguments, Nate reluctantly agreed, "But stay behind me the whole time."

I met up with Nate by the pack dungeon where I saw the man-Max in a cell. It didn't look like he could escape, so I wondered why Nate was worrying so much.

I almost shrunk back as Max glared at me, "Let me out right now, and maybe your punishment won't be so bad."

I whinpered at the word, "Are you working with the leader of the Blood Moons?"

He grinned, "He's a close friend."

Nate growled, "I regret ever talking to you back in school! Where is the son of a bitch?"

I grabbed Nate's arm. Both to calm him down a bit and to stop myself from shaking.

"Why would I tell you?" Max chuckled, "I'll get out of here and we will get his property back."

I shrunk behind Nate as he spat, "She's nobody's property, and I won't hesitate to kill you if you ever put a finger on her!"

Max just laughed and looked past Nate to me, "I can't wait to get my hands on you. I'll strap you to the bed, gag you, then have my way with you. Maybe I'll leave you like that for days to let it sink in that you have no control."

With every word, Nate got more visibly angry. I could tell he was close to snapping, but I kept mind linking him to stay quiet. I knew Max couldn't do anything from in there, and I knew he was our only lead on his friend.

"You know what?" Max continued, "You're lucky I knew them for so long or who knows what would have happened to you last year."

"What are you talking about?" Nate demanded.

"Maybe they would have killed you in their own attempt to remove the baby."

I froze as Nate asked, "What baby?"

"She got pregnant." He stated casually, "I sent a pack doctor over there to help them get rid of it. The doctor didn't know the full story, of course."

I couldn't focus on anything else that was said as I took in what he said. My dream wasn't out of fear. It was a memory.