Magic Gem

[Andi]
Lately, Jax and Em have been wearing the same jacket to school. It even has the same gem near their wrists. During lunch time, Jax left for a while and Em sat down with me.

I asked, "So tell me, why do you and Jax have the exact same jacket with that exact same gem?"

She replied, "It's a ma-" but was cut off by Daniel.

He sat down on our table and greeted us. Em clenched her fist and gave him a glare. Suddenly, the gem in her jacket turned black. Jax came back and saw us with Daniel and his gem turned black as well.

"Daniel, get out before things get worse. Jax is coming." I muttered.

He still wouldn't mind moving so I stepped on his foot and it made him go away, just like a bug. Jax took his place and both his and Em's gem turned red. They smiled at each other.

"You were saying?" I told Em.

"It's a magic gem. It changes it's color depending on the person in front of you. If you like that person, it turns red. If you hate that person, it turns black." she replied.

"No wonder your gems turned black when Daniel was around." I reckoned, "and not to mention, it turns red when you guys are together."

After school, Em didn't approve of playing video games with me and she didn't tell me why. I was guessing it was because she preferred staying home but late this afternoon, I found out she was on a date with Jax. I knew there was something up with those two; the hanging-out-a-lot time, the matching jackets, the influence, the magic gem. It didn't take long to find out, it was quite obvious.

The next day, as always, I would go to her house so we can walk and talk to school but when I got there, she was tearing up on the couch pillow in her uniform.

"Hey Em. What's wrong?" I asked.

She swept the tears off her face and looked at the pillow with mascara stains.

"I was wrong about Jax. Remember the magic gem? Well, he was wearing it last night and it suddenly turned black while I was in front of him. It never malfunctions and it is immune to spells so I felt bad. How could I have loved him?" she said.

I was speechless. How could Jax do this to her again? It's clearly a magic gem, no malfunctions whatsoever. I called up Jax and talked to him.

"Hey Andi." he greeted.

"Don't hey me. What did you do Em?" I asked.

"Nothing, I did nothing!" he sputtered.

"Great way to restart your relationship. You don't like Emma." I concluded.

"What makes you think that?" he bleated.

"She said the gem turned black when you guys were on a date." I said.

"That's because I saw Daniel at the restaurant as well. You know I hate Daniel." he answered.

Well that explains everything... sort of.

"Why didn't you tell Emma?" I asked.

"Why would I tell Emma?!" he answered, "Daniel annoys her and she doesn't like seeing us in the same room."

"You should go tell her." I advised.

We teleported back to Emma's house to find out she wasn't there. We looked around the rooms but no one was there. Time to time, we hear loud thuds and screeching noises. I saw three small guys in hoodies and shades so their identities were hidden. I chased them as they run around.

"Jax!" I shouted.

He helped me pull off the hoodies of the guys and as soon as we did...

I said, "Why didn't I expect these people to come?"