Chapter 2: True Colors

"Kore Persephone, what do you think your doing." I turn around to see my mother staring down at me with fire in her eyes and a smile. Oh no. . .

"Uhm. . . j-just getting s-some more books. . ." I say trying to sound convincing but fail as she grabs the one I had recently read.

"One about me, huh?" She begins to skim through the book and puts it back, her eyes looking into mine.

"Let me guess, Rosetta?" She smiles and lets out a laugh. It send chills down my spine. She grips my arm and drags me back to the fields.

"Mom, I'm sorry! Dont hurt Rosetta!!!" She stops in her steps and turns around with her eyebrows furrowed and grips my wrist tighter.

"Oh, I wont hurt her Sweety. But you are never leaving our fields again." The nymphs around us watch as my mother drags me back. I dig my feet in the ground and yank my arm back to my side. I clench my hands into a fists.

"I'm twenty two years old mom! You cant keep me here forever!!!" I scream at her as she tries grabbing my arm again. I slap her hand away clenching my teeth.

"KORE PERSEPHONE!" Her voice begins to boom making the flowers all around us blow back.

"YOU WILL STAY HERE AS LONG AS I WANT YOU TOO! IM JUST TRYING TO PROTECT YOUR LIFE!!!" She screams at me, her voice becoming shrill and louder. This isnt living!

"YOUR NOT PROTECTING ME BY NOT LETTING ME LIVE MY OWN LIFE. IM LEAVING!" She grabs my arm and throws me into our house.

"You are not going anywhere Kore." She holds my arm tightly and opens a hatch below the rug in our living room. My heart begins to pound against my chest as I see all the flower nymphs watch in terror. There bodies shiver in fear and I see Rosetta with her eyes wide open trembling. She bites her lip right before bringing her hands to her mouth gasping.

"Let me go!" I scream while thrashing at my mother.

She just grips my arm tighter tossing me into the little room below the ground.

"Tomorrow, I'll show you your new home!!!" I look over at Rosetta as my mother whips her head around towards her.

"I knew it was you, you snake!" She begins to walk towards Rosetta with her fists clenched.

"MOM, NO! STOP PLEASE!" I scream scared of what might happen to Rosetta. As my mom lifts her hand I press my palms to the ground. I feel my blood pumping and my eyes begin to brighten up making my sight easier. My hair floats gently off my shoulders. In fear of what my mom would do to Rosetta I think of the only way to save us both. The ground begins to shake violently as the magic from my veins flows through my fingertips to the ground. Thick vines break through the ground shooting towards my moms arms and legs. I pull my arms back clenching my fists making my mom fall to the ground being held tightly.

"RUN ROSETTA!!!" I scream as I feel my mom beginning to fight back. Rosetta looks from my mom to me, her body shivering.

"ILL BE FINE, JUST RUN." She quickly looks at the other nymphs who nod there heads. Without waiting another second, Rosetta runs off as fast as she can along with all the other nymphs. My mom looks back at me with rage. She pushes herself off the ground slowly making me struggle. I shut my eyes tightly and clench my teeth trying to hold her down just a little longer. Suddenly, I feel everything break. My bones begin to burn as I hear tearing and ripping. I open my eyes to see my mother towering above me. She lifts my head by placing a finger under my chin then blows into my face. I begin to feel light headed and everything seems to start circling around me. No, dont fall asleep. I grab the staircase and stand up. She grabs my arm and whispers in my ear.