Prologue

FOR THE FIRST TIME in forever, I wish I have seen it wrong

Her hands trembled as she wrote the last sentences on her journal. Sweats and tears were blended on her face—a drop of it fell on to the page and smeared the ink as she signed on the notes with her name.

Glenda W.

She closed her eyes as she chanted, "Strong as a flood, sharp as a hook. Only those with my blood are worthy for the book."

A wave of energy was roaring inside her. It flooded through her body, to her fingers, creating a strong force that closed the journal. At the same time, Glenda's body was shaking uncontrollably and she fell from her chair. The energy she created on her own was too strong to handle, that she had to direct it to her mind.

Some images were fluttered before her eyes. She was refusing to see it, but she couldn't let it burst out of her body because such powerful energy could cause a great damage around her.

The flicker slowed down, and it shaped into one clear image.

Glenda could see that it was raining ashes. Smokes went up to the dark sky, blinding and suffocating three figures who were floating in the air. Some trees around them were in flames. Half of the grass field were burned, with the fountain in the middle destroyed to pieces.

They slowly descended, and eventually fell to the ground.

"Weak." Another figure appeared, standing firmly not far from them. "Glenda Waytten didn't give all those powers for weaklings. You don't deserve it—all of you."

One of them raised their head, trying to get up on his feet. "And you think you do?"

The other person in a black cloak chuckled. "I am worthy."

With only one hand raised up, all three of them were dragged away by invisible force and then were pinned to each unburned tree.

"Well, well, well." The black cloak smirked. "Which one of you is willing to give your power first?"

Two of them were half conscious. The guy with light brown hair, however, was still trying to fight the force. He was laughing—making the person in front of him a bit agitated.

"You'll be dead before you get it," he said between breaths. "I've seen it."

With the last remaining energy, Glenda was thrusted away of her own vision. When she could finally gather her senses, she heard loud thumps outside her house.

"Mother—" A little girl showed up in her room. Her lips were quivering. "They're here."

Glenda stepped out of her room holding her journal tightly, and found her husband and her other children in the living room. They were standing cautiously and staring to the door, where she could feel other presence outside.

A great amount of people was surrounding her house. Her children shrieked as someone was trying to break their door.

"GLENDA WAYTTEN!" shouted a man outside. "YOU KILLED MY DAUGHTER!"

Glenda rushed to her husband. "Kenneth, take the children and go," Glenda muttered, and her children started crying of fear. "Go, please!"

Kenneth Doyle gathered their children to his arms, but one remained unmoved. "Glenn!"

"I'm staying with Mother," said Glenn firmly.

"No, Dear, please... You have to go," pleaded Glenda. She handed her journal to Glenn. "You have to keep this safe. You have to give this to your children and their descendants."

Glenn's eyes were gleaming. "But, Mother—"

"Go with your father, Glenn. Be with your brother and sisters—protect them," she said.

Glenn still didn't want to move, but his father pulled him out to go to their basement. Kenneth and his four children were running through a small tunnel under their house. They climbed up another flight of stairs to reach the surface.

Once they were on the ground, they stared at their house that was swarmed by the angry townspeople. They could only hope that Glenda could somehow follow behind to escape them.

But, in a blink of an eye, the house went up in flames.

*****

-- Hello, guys! I'm trying to write a fantasy novel, something that's been on my mind since forever. I really hope it won't take a long time to finish. Let me know what you think of it!

Much love,
Widya / weirdya --