Chapter 9

*****

*****

"DO YOU HAVE a power steering fluid?"

Ashton propped his chin up on the cashier table in Groves Motors, his father's auto repair shop in the middle of Darkwell. His eyes observed rows of spare parts that were neatly arranged on the shelves and hung on the wall in this small room. Right beside the store, there was a workshop where his father and the employees worked on the cars.

Once again, Ashton had to go through another boring Saturday in this boring town. Every weekend, he helped his father Jack to watch the store. Being one of the biggest auto repair shop in Darkwell, Groves Motors would have customers every day, but it didn't seem like it today.

Ashton got sunk into his memory of Perth. He was so lucky to get a chance for a tennis training in one of tennis academies there for free. He spent one year solely for tennis, even missed academic leaning for it, but he never regretted it. He felt that he would be trapped in this town forever—that's why, even though he had to leave his father alone, he couldn't waste the golden chance.

Darkwell wasn't old-fashioned. The town grew more advance with mall, cinema, shopping center, and restaurants, but it still felt dull for Ash somehow. He would rather spend more time playing tennis or strolling around Horan Crest Park that was located in the center of the town than going to the mall.

Back from Perth, in terms of physical, Darkwell was progressively changed. Structural foundations were everywhere, in which Ashton was sure that they took a large portion of the Darkwell forest. If it could make this town less boring, he would've accepted it—but it just felt the same even after someone decided to run for senate.

Yes, it was the man he saw crashing his car into the tree in the middle of heavy rain.

The memory haunted him again. Even though it had been two months, he always held his breath when he remembered how he was shivering because of the rain and had to pull Ezra Chandler out of his car. Not only that, the explosion that happened right after they saved themselves in the bus still scared him out.

His body went into shock when a pair of cold hands shook him—a middle aged man was standing in front of him with an annoyed face.

"Sorry—can I help you?" Ashton hastily got up.

"I'm looking for a power steering fluid," the man answered.

After showing him the shelf, another customer came in. And another, and another. He probably had to learn a little more patience.

"Are you okay there, Son?" Ashton's father, Jack Groves, came in through the back door that was connected to the workshop.

"Yes, Dad," he snickered.

"Harry will come and change shift with you, so you can go home," said Jack.

Ashton didn't know why, but that statement saddened him. "I'd rather be here than dying of boredom, actually."