Chapter 10

AFTER VISITING HIS MOTHER, Mick sneakily went to the east wing of the hospital, where Ezra Chandler was staying for the last two months. He made sure that the man was alone in the room after his family left. All he should face was the two police officers guarding the VIP room.

For almost two months, he and Leon were trying to find out about dark magic, and the possibility of it being used to both his mother and Mr. Chandler. They got absolutely nothing. Mick's father said that even though Darkwell used to be a home for warlocks and witches who ran away from their towns to seek shelters, that part of history was erased to protect their identities. Who knew, there would probably hundreds of them here right now, but they were laying low for the sake of their safety.

Human and warlocks might reach an agreement hundreds of years ago, but it didn't mean that both sides would try to hurt each other. And if there was a commotion among warlocks and witches themselves, it would be a million times worse.

"I give up," Leon whined. He never spent so much time in the library before, and now he had to go through old books that made him sneeze every time he flipped a page. "Do you really think we would find any books from 19th century here?"

The Darkwell library was a part of the town hall and was located just behind the main building. It wasn't big, but it sure had so many books and they weren't arranged properly because people just simply didn't care. Mick had this idea after his mother told him that she befriended the librarian, Mrs. Fray, when attending parents-teacher meeting back when Mick was still in high school.

"I don't know, Leon, that's why we're here," replied Mick. "I can't just have a magic power and bolted when someone needs my help."

Leon sighed. "Alright, alright. But your father said anything related to magic was kept secret? How are we supposed to find it?"

"There's got to be some hints lying around here, we just need to be more thorough." Mick was reading a thick, yellowed book about town parks. "Look, there's something about Horan Crest Park here. It was built in 1912 by the town mayor at that time, Frederick Horan. The fountain in the middle was dedicated to his parents Bernard and Diana Horan."

"Oh, I didn't know a couple of angels statues in a fountain would help us find whoever cursed your mother," Leon said sarcastically, but then shut his mouth when Mick glared at him.

"I'm saying that the whole history of Darkwell doesn't have to be in one book," Mick scowled. "We have to find something about our ancestor—some non-magic related things. Maybe you should check out that newspaper clippings."

Leon lazily took one book that was a compilation of a newspaper article from way back. He never put this much effort to study, and certainly wouldn't start for an aimless mission.

"By the way, have you checked on Ezra Chandler yet?" He asked, changing the topic. "You're the only one with access to the hospital. You should see if he has any magic symbol."

"His room is guarded with officers all the time. I can't just sneak in and strip him down, can I?" Mick huffed.

But that was exactly what he was going to do now.

Popping his head before the entrance to the east wing, Mick watched the situation for a while. There weren't so many people in the hallways, and the nurses in the receptionist desk were either on the phone or on the computer. The two officers were standing upright, not letting even a mosquito to lose their stances.

Mick closed his eyes, concentrating. He hadn't had any vision regarding Mr. Chandler, but forcing it would just hurt his head. Looking at the circumstances, he didn't need his power to see that he could never go into that room to meet the man as long as the officers were there.