FAMILY MEETING

Ridhima texted Sameer ‘Jeans-Top, Skirt-Top or Frock’. Sameer replied, ‘Simple formal suit’.

Though Ridhima had never wore suit in her life but nervously that day she did for Sameer.

Sameer picked her at 10 o’clock and brought her for lunch to his house. Sameer’s house was designed in a typical Muslim style. Inside the house her mother was preparing food in the kitchen, grandmother was watching television, grandfather was sleeping in his room and his father was out for some reason.

Slowly Sameer introduced Ridhima to his mother. His mother was a jovial lady and she welcomed her with a smile. There was a lady talk for some time which Sameer never understood what they meant but it was good his mother liked Ridhima. So after the talk Ridhima went to his room. Sameer’s room was full of trophies and medals. After admiring them she laid on the bed and waited for him. But Sameer sat on the chair and looked tensed. Ridhima couldn’t understand him, so she kept her head on his lap and asked the problem.

“Ridhima I belong to a Muslim family and my ancestors used to live in Pakistan. Though I don’t differentiate between Hindu and Muslim but my father do and that’s troubling me”, said Sameer.

Drops of tears rolled from Ridhima’s eyes but she was a determined girl and was ready to face anyone.

The time passed and finally it was lunch time. His father sitting on the chair was waiting for him to start the lunch. Slowly Sameer came from the back and said “Dad she is my friend Ridhima, Ridhima Jha”.

“Nice to meet you Ridhima. Now, please excuse us as I don’t want our lunch to be spoiled because of a Hindu girl”, barked Mr. Abdullah (Sameer’s Father).

Ridhima didn’t utter any word and left his house. Sameer wanted to stop her but he was helpless. His father was a bold and angry man and crossing his will was not a cakewalk. He had the lunch with his father and learned one thing that he was supposed to make Ridhima his past, no meetings, no calls nothing which meant complete distance between the two.

That was a horrible day and he cried a lot. Some where he was crying because of his cowardice.