How I Became

Optional: music to go along with this chapter is above.

Lorelei

They are finally here in the small island of Havithana that—until now—had remained neutral and out of mass chaos in the World War. It would seem even those who don't choose a side must fight. Perhaps things would be different if only we stayed away from the shore that day.

The object would have been sitting there for years—missing—lost among our land and buried deep beneath the sands of our shore

The object would have been sitting there for years—missing—lost among our land and buried deep beneath the sands of our shore. It sounds like a loss but at least then they wouldn't have accused us of stealing their weapon—or whatever the hell this may be to them—and plot against them for war; that was not the intent.

Their ship rushes toward our island as I sit, grazing my hands on the rough surface of a rocky cliff just peeking over the sea. Would I remain sitting here, watching the death scene occur in front of me like one of those action-horror films?

I reach deep into the pocket of my silky, loose-fitting dress and slide out the compass; twiddling its golden chain in-and-out of the webs of my hands. If I toss it a small distance into the sea, what would happen? An explosion or it could sink and disappear forever...

The waves begin to climb higher against the rock until it rises above and water spills over my feet. I stand, keeping my grip tight on the compass. Then I walk near the edge and look down into the water. For a moment, my gaze turns as cold as the ocean's, and dark temptation floods over me.

Throw the compass. If the compass was a bomb, I could cause enough wreckage or distortion that they would turn around.

"The shoreline seems to be vacant. If we hurry, we can set up hideout and plan our next attack for the morn."

"Copy that, all members hear? Bullet and Gun will be first to depart from the boat. Then Wolf, you stay where you are and keep watch from afar. Signal clear' when they have successfully made it past the shore line."

Short line of static.

"Roger, Captain."

I peak over the edge of the cliff and spot a man swimming while trying to scout out the area. He wore a camo suit with a military symbol patched on it. He was an enemy: the rivals of our country who sought vengeance against us. I crouch down swiftly to avoid getting caught as he swam closer to the tall rock I was on. If he knew I was here, I'd most likely be killed and accused of being a spy. Although, admitting it, that was sort of what I'd been unintentionally doing.

The man was short of breath, inhaling in and out deeply. I could tell he was slightly panicked and worn out; most likely extremely cold as well. I knew those water's temperatures felt like a thousand knives in the mid of September.

He held up a black radio transceiver and pressed down a button. A gust of more static blurred from it, "Captain, you there?" A few moments pass with no response. "Cap-" he stopped mid-sentence and lifted the transceiver higher in the air and flipped it upside down, a spew of water emitted from it. Does that mean he lost signal with his comrades?