Prologue

I sighed as my boyfriend, Beta Cameron, gave me a small peck on the cheek. No we weren't mates, but we didn't really care. We'd told each other that when we found our mates (if we found our mates) there would be no hard feelings... I know, I know, that's what everyone says... But I am too far past the age where a wolf normally meets their mate to actually expect to find the other half of my soul any more.

"Morning, Robin." He muttered in my ear. You see... Cameron isn't from the same pack as me... I practically had to force my alpha to let me live outside of the pack borders so that I could talk to Beta Cameron since he was from the rival pack... but my alpha doesn't need to know that...

"Morning." I smiled back at him as I prepared for work. I usually work as my pack's main doctor, but, as the best pack doctor in the world (insert mental grinning face), I end up travelling a lot to treat different wolves from different packs across the globe and some Alphas swear by only getting treated by the best, but that's Alphas for you. It does keep me busy, but means my pack has always had to have a second pack doctor, to ensure that their bases were covered whenever I went on my little trips.

"You busy today?" he asked me and I shrugged.

"Today I'm just staying in the hospital, treating whoever comes in." I said and he gave me a small smile.

"Lucky." He said playfully. "No traveling, just a day at the office for you." He smiled. "Why don't you join my pack, I can accept wolves into the pack as well as Alpha Jaydon." He sighed. "Please think about it." The pack he belonged to was called red shade pack. 

"I have thought about it." I sigh but in reality I hadn't. "I've been thinking about it for the last six months, since you began bringing it up." I sighed and he laughed.

"No you haven't." he smiled, shaking his head. "Come on, my pack is better than yours, hell it's one the best packs in the world and you know that!" he explained for the millionth time. My pack is quite low down on the food chain. The pack he belongs to may be my packs main enemy, but they have bigger enemies, their biggest enemy being the dark shawl pack, the strongest known pack in the world. Ran by the most ruthless Alpha known to the world. The only thing that will get him to crack is saying anything about his mate, which he hasn't met in his 1,226 years of living. No one knows what the hell he looks like because the ONLY guy who survived his attack went insane... during the time that they killed those who went insane...

"I know but..." I began and he cut me off, which I was glad for, since I didn't have anything to say.

"If Jaydon is too scary for you to even face, I can understand that and you could stay with me in my house, where you would never have to see him." He said in a mocking tone but I could hear the truth underlining the words as he spoke them.

"Oh yeah, you'll definitely have to save me from your cruel alpha." I joked and he shook his head.

"Think about it!" he pleaded and I just shook my head smiling.

"I'll try, now get out of my house I need to go to work." I laughed.

"You can't control me I'm a Beta." He smirked.

"Then maybe I should put you in hospital." I smirked as I shoved him out the door and slammed it shut behind him.

Okay, let me tell you about pack rank so you don't get confused. It's very much like the Greek alphabet, you know: Alpha, Beta, Gamma, Delta, Epsilon, Zeta, Eta... yes it's like that but without all of the letters.

The First and top rank is the Alpha, he's in charge and to make my explanation confusing his mate is the Luna (the only rank in the pack that doesn't come from the Greek alphabet).