Kiss Me in the Rain

"I gave him my heart, and he took and pinched it to death; and flung it back to me. People feel with their hearts, Ellen, and since he has destroyed mine, I have not power to feel for him."

— Wuthering Heights, Emily Brontë

TW: Mentions of cutting, self-deprecation, depression, panic attacks.

Though they aren't graphic, it's best to read at your own risk if these trigger you in any way.

Veronica loved romantic movies. It was just how it was. But in each of these movies, the rising action always built up to a kiss in the rain. To where both parties are broken, crying and open, waiting for a new beginning in the rain. She never had that. She hoped she did. There's just something romantic about letting all the walls down to let in someone you knew would and could break your heart if they ever left.

It's too bad that she's got it bad for her best friend who was dating her other best friend.

Why did Archie Andrews have to be so perfect?

Why did Betty Cooper get to have everything in this picture perfect town?

Envy is bad enough when you know someone has what you want, but when you're envious of your best friend's happiness? It was the worst kind.

You'd want to be happy for them, happy that they found something that lit up their world like a Christmas tree, but you were also saddened that they were happy because of the person you so desperately wanted.

So Veronica found comfort in the romantic movies that seemed to reflect her love life.

Boring, pitiless, and full of hurt.

But hey, they say life is supposed to be lived to the fullest, why can't she use hers to cry about the joke of a romantic one?

-

"Veronica!" Betty had shouted giddily, her long legs sauntering their way down the hall towards her.

"Betty." Veronica said, trying to match her friend's cheer and ultimately failing.

Unfortunately, her blonde friend was perceptive. Unlike most of the blonde leads in the films she's watched, Betty Cooper was something to be reckoned with.

Full of life, courage, and overall personality. No wonder she was the second most popular girl in school compared to her middle class status within the student body.

Betty Cooper; she burned too bright for this world.

"Something's bothering you."

No shit, I have a crush on your boyfriend; she wanted to say, but refrained from doing so. "It's nothing to worry about."

Betty drew her brows together. "Are you sure?"

"Yes," now drop it. "I'm fine, honestly B."

"Okay..." She trailed off, still giving Veronica a wary glance.

She faked a smile. "What were you excited about?"

"Oh, I was wondering if..."

-

Third wheel once again.

Yeah, this is so fun Betty thanks a lot for inviting yourselves over to my apartment.