06 | ❝ butterfly ❞

you came over to my place today.

needless to say, my mother was thrilled to meet you. well, "thrilled" would be an understatement. she loved you.

"you're even more handsome than what namjoonie tells me!" she exclaims, making me choke on my noodles.

"yeah uh, mom how about we get going huh?" i muttered. "jin hyung, you can go up to my room if you want, i'll help mom clean up here."

"sure," you nodded as you turned and bowed politely to mom. "thank you for the lunch, mrs. kim, it was amazing!"

"oh it was no problem, dear," she gushed. "and please call me dohee."

as i loaded the dishes in the dishwasher, my mom patted my shoulder. "he's quite a keeper, namjoon."

"mom!" i whined. "its... its not like that! were just friends... yeah-"

mom smiled, i could see she thought otherwise. "i just want you to be happy, dear, that's all."

a melody drifted through the air when i made my way up the stairs. it was coming from my room. curious, i opened the door to peek in.

you sat on my bed, my old guitar in your hands. i watched as your long fingers ran across the cords, strumming a nostalgic, familiar tune.

"when this moment passes,
as though it never happened,
i'm scared, i'm scared, i'll loose you."

your voice, your voice, holy shit. it sounded sweet, like honey. it reminded me of lullabies, of quiet, autumnal days, of the warm feeling of falling asleep next to a fireplace.

"is it true? is it true?
you, you
you're so beautiful, that i'm scared."

i listened as you sang, your voice entrancing me as if magic. you sang about your fear of loosing someone before you cherished the moments and happiness you shared. of wanting to stay with someone you know wanted to leave.

but what surprised me was the emotion you sang with.

as if you were experiencing what the lyrics spoke of.

"just like a butterfly,
a butterfly.."

i walked through the door as you finished with a sigh.

"you startled me joonie," you said with a giggle.

i simply smiled. "that was amazing. beyond amazing, actually," i corrected. "i didn't know you played."

"i took lessons a few years ago. i still play sometimes but i'm not the best."

"well that's not what i heard," i said as i sat down next to you. "think you can teach me?"

you smiled, but something seemed different. like you were hiding something behind it.

"sure, why not?"