Chapter 5

Akaashi walked along the alley to the back door of the concert hall. The front was starting to get really packed, people were filing in with tickets to their show already.

They had practiced like crazy. They were still rough around the edges, but Ukai convinced them that this was only a 'warm up', so not to fret too much. The real deal would be in June. It was hard not feel nervous though.

Akaashi spotted Kenma walking the other way, and stopped to say hi.

"Kenma-kun. Kuroo-san's already here then?" Kenma nodded, fiddling a little with his little fingers.

"He's pacing though." Akaashi raised a brow.

"Does he pace when he's nervous?" he asked, and Kenma nodded. He looked like he wanted to say something, but apparently dropped it. Kenma heaved a sigh, his breath clouding the cold November-night air.

"Good luck out there, Akaashi-kun. Try to make sure Kuroo doesn't give himself a heart attack."

Akaashi said goodbye as Kenma walked off.

And walked in to the backstage to find a disaster.

Musicians were running around in a slightly panicked way, and Kuroo really was pacing. He paced the floor of the main room, walking back and forth in his suit and staring down at his phone. His hair was even tidied.

"Kuroo-san?" Akaashi asked quietly. Kuroo didn't even look up at him.

"Daishou," he said simply, gesturing to his phone. Ah. Akaashi just nodded and left him. He walked into the dressing rooms and changed into his suit, trying to smooth his hair down into something that looked presentable.

"We'll be coming to see your show next week Keji!"

Akaashi stood up, deciding to check in on the others as a distraction. Hinata was shaking with nerves, and apparently he had met Ujishima with a young pianist named Goshiki when he had gone to the bathroom. Kageyama seemed to be caught up thinking about something, and was taking the time to insult the redhead about his weak moral backbone. Yamagucci and Yacchi were also very nervous, but Tsukishima didn't seem to care.

"It's just practice like normal," he had told Akaashi nonchalantly, filing his nails so they wouldn't catch on his strings. "There just happens to be an audience."

Akaashi wished he could think the same way, but he could feel himself spacing out as he walked.

He didn't notice Bokuto until he had bumped right into him.

"Ah, I'm so sorry-" he noticed who he had bumped into, and paused. "Bokuto-san?"

Bokuto was a bundle of nerves, but a quiet one. His eyes flitted around, and his hands tapped on his trousers as his foot tapped on the floor.
He was wearing a grey suit, and his hair was slicked back in a sensible and smart coif. Akaashi shouldn't have been surprised, the formal wear was normal for the concert hall. But Bokuto looked somehow out of place.

Akaashi struggled with his words. He couldn't even think of how to keep himself perfectly calm, how could he calm someone else?

"Don't worry, Bokuto-san. I'll conduct for you, like always." Akaashi didn't really see the merit in that, of course he would be conducting. But Bokuto seemed to relax, giving him a small, nervous smile.

"Yeah. You- you're right, Kash. Let's go. It will be starting soon."

It had begun before Akaashi could realise. He heard Ukai brief them all, wish them luck, and then he was watching Kageyama raise his hands to start the first piece.