5 ✦ isolation

𝕚'𝕞 𝕨𝕚𝕥𝕙 𝕪𝕠𝕦 𝕓𝕦𝕥 𝕞𝕪 𝕞𝕚𝕟𝕕 𝕚𝕤 𝕤𝕥𝕣𝕒𝕟𝕘𝕖 

𝕚𝕟 𝕗𝕣𝕠𝕟𝕥 𝕠𝕗 𝕥𝕙𝕖 𝕕𝕠𝕠𝕣 𝕔𝕒𝕝𝕝𝕖𝕕 𝕖𝕩𝕚𝕥 𝕥𝕙𝕒𝕥 𝕔𝕒𝕞𝕖 𝕥𝕠 𝕞𝕖 𝕒𝕝𝕝 𝕠𝕗 𝕒 𝕤𝕦𝕕𝕕𝕖𝕟 

✦✦✦

you hadn't thought it was a date. i should've known.

at first, i thought it was a miscommunication on my end. but it wasn't.

as days passed it became clearer and clearer.

that was your persona. 

it's not that you didn't hear me. it's that you didn't think too much about my statement.

it wasn't as important.

you, who received dozens of offers. you, who is used to the attention.

but i'm a good friend. i still walk you to class, sometimes. and when you're bored you'll talk to me like nothing is wrong. 

because to you, nothing is wrong. you're playing the perfect protagonist in your head.

but within seconds of my part of the scene, everything shifts.

your female friends approach you. mid-conversation, you switch gears. 

my mind is weird. it wants to say something. it wants to announce something to the world. 

but it won't come out. 

days pass, and i fade in and out of your little story. 

sitting at the table, i shudder into my corner. the internal struggle of wanting to feel invisible and wanting to be noticed tears me apart. 

i finish my meal in haste. this has taken too much of me. 

it's time for me to make the first of my many separations from this act.

swinging my backpack over my shoulder, i stand up. a few heads turn, but most are too busy in their own world. 

i walk forward and don't look back. feet dragging me to escape. 

suddenly, i stop. 

the bright red capital letters materialize above my head as i look up.

EXIT, they say.

i know, i think to myself. 

it's my cue to exit.

✦✦✦

𝕞𝕪 𝕤𝕞𝕒𝕝𝕝 𝕒𝕟𝕕 𝕥𝕖𝕕𝕚𝕠𝕦𝕤 𝕖𝕟𝕕𝕚𝕟𝕘