7 ✦ indignation

𝕪𝕠𝕦𝕣 𝕓𝕝𝕚𝕟𝕕𝕚𝕟𝕘 𝕕𝕣𝕒𝕞𝕒 

𝕒 𝕞𝕒𝕘𝕚𝕔𝕒𝕝 𝕕𝕣𝕒𝕞𝕒 

✦✦✦

i was on my phone, but i should've been paying attention to where i was walking. 

i bumped into a girl. looking up, i realized that it was your friend. 

of course, i knew her name.

serim. it was a pretty name. and she was a nice girl. 

i'd always been too caught up on the main character that i missed the other details. 

i smiled in apology and she dismissed it, laughing it off as well. 

i noticed you were there next to her too. 

you said hello. i hummed a small hi in response.

you asked if i was okay. 

i nodded, but said that it wasn't any of your business anyways. serim's eyes grew worried. 

you asked why i was avoiding you. 

i said the truth. it was better to keep a distance from you. i thought i played a bigger role in your life than i actually did. 

you were confused. i expected that.

you treated me like an extra, a side character. people like that don't mean much to you, i said.

you grew annoyed. you thought i was accusing you of being shallow. or selfish.

i wasn't. and i told you that i wasn't.

people have their own stories, i said. 

in the beginning, i thought i was a main character. as this story progressed, i realized that i was just another extra to you, glimpses of me caught in the scene. you had always been the main character in your story. 

i didn't expect you to understand. and you didn't.

you thought i was trying to humiliate you in front of a friend. but i just wanted an ending on my terms. 

serim stood there puzzled, looking between this frustrated girl feeling wronged by the questioning of her character and a steadfast boy who had accepted his role in this story and was ready to move on. 

for one final time, i looked, as in really looked, at your pretty face. then i turned over my shoulder and walked away.

✦✦✦

𝕚'𝕞 𝕟𝕠𝕟𝕖 𝕠𝕗 𝕪𝕠𝕦𝕣 𝕓𝕦𝕤𝕚𝕟𝕖𝕤𝕤