0 4

XX

Peter Parker

New York was as busy as ever as Spider-man swung past the buildings towering over him. He relished the feeling of the cold after-noon air that swept past him. Below, civilians and tourists shouted and waved at the passing hero. Beneath the mask, Peter Parker smiled and shot up peace signs to the cameras. 

Yes, Peter enjoyed the life of being the hero, Spider-man, but a part of him felt like it was all too much. Often, he was stopped on the streets, and as the days grew, people would constantly ask him, "who will step up as Iron-man?" Peter never knew the answer to this question, all he knew was that he wasn't sure it could be him.

Peter landed on top of a building and scanned the streets below him. What caught his attention was a familiar figure running down the street in obvious distress. Peter recognized this figure as none other than Michelle Jones. Crap! He had totally forgotten about practice today, Michelle was going to be furious. Peter studied her closely, his advanced vision zooming in, and to his surprise, tears were streaming down her usually stoic face. Why was she crying, what was wrong? Maybe, he should check up on her.

...

Peter stuffed his suit into his backpack as he left the alley. If he remembered correctly, Michelle had run into the alley next to a pizza parlor. Peter walked into the alley, and just as he walked in, his enhanced hearing caught the sounds of sobbing beside a dumpster. Slowly, Peter edged towards the dumpster until he caught sight of Michelle's hunched over body. 

"Michelle?"

Peter watched as Michelle lifted her head. Her curly hair hid most of her features, but he could make out her puffy eyes and tear-stained cheeks. To his surprise, a smile came from Michelle as her eyes studied him with relief.

"Hey, Peter," Michelle mumbled.

Peter hadn't heard Michelle say his first name in years, a small part of him lept in joy as he crouched down in front of Michelle so that they were the same height.

"Hey, you doing ok?" Peter mentally slapped himself. Why would he ask her that? She obviously wasn't ok! 

Michelle sniffed and rubbed the back of her hand against her nose, "I don't know, do I seem ok?" "Right, that was a stupid question," Peter said as he scratched the back of his head.

For minutes that felt like hours, Peter and Michelle sat in awkward silence, not paying attention to the world around them.

"D-do you, uh, need someone to w-walk you home?" Peter stuttered. He saw her visibly tense up at the mention of "home".

"I don't really want to go there," she whispered as she averted her hazel eyes from his coffee doe eyes. 

Peter thought for a moment before standing up and holding his hand out for Michelle to take. Michelle gave him a wary look, "What're you doing?" 

He wasn't sure if he would regret this or not, but he couldn't just leave Michelle. "We're going over to my place, Ned and I are having a movie night. T-that is if you want to?" Peter fumbled over his last sentence. 

Michelle seemed skeptical at first, but soon enough, she placed her cold soft hands in his as he hauled her and her bag up. Michelle rubbed the last of her tears away.