Chapter 13

Chapter 13

        'When' exactly I woke up that I can't remember. All I know was that it was early- way too early in the morning. The thick black curtains, that should've been obscuring the windows, weren't pulled over it, thus the rays of the sunlight, as faint as they were in such icy seasons, shone over my eyelids when I was tucked in bed.

Last night, Adam called Lexi while we were on our way to his house to notify her that something came up. He wasn't going to be there when we arrive, but he assured us that he has asked the workers there, who were working on setting up the door that'll separate Adam's floor from the top two, to let us in.

Truthfully, I haven't talked to him ever since he showed me the ring, and in spite of Lexi's reassurance on how absolutely welcoming he was to the idea of my residence here, I can't help but think maybe he wasn't which makes me regret not talking to him about it directly in the first place. Never have I ever been one to reach conclusions without evidences, but I can't help but believe that maybe he does mind that the person who'll be staying there with him is me.

At a leisurely pace, my bare feet step on the parquet of the bedroom floor towards the portrait-displaying mirror. Inspecting the damage Adrien did to my eye with my hand, I wince at my reflection. Against my ghostly skin, great purple welts freckles my eyelid and my under eye. They are grotesque and will probably deepen over the upcoming week, but I know I'm lucky that my eye in itself isn't injured- that I can still see.

Reminding me that I haven't eaten anything since before my wedding yesterday, my stomach growls. I head to the toilet, brush my teeth quickly then brush my fingers through the left side of my mid-back-reaching blond hair in an attempt to cover my swollen eye before I place my feet inside my slippers and head downstairs through the door, which was just built yesterday, to the kitchen. Thanks to my mother, she taught me a lot of recipes, so cooking was never something I struggled with.

While I was flipping the pancakes, I hear the sound of a door creaking and instantly know that Adam's awake. Other than my fast reflex of lowering my head to let my hair shield my face from his view, I don't know why I suddenly become nervous, but all I kept thinking of is 'what do I say?', and how I hope things don't turn out to be 'awkward'.

"Pancakes," he says as he enters the kitchen. "Good morning."

"Morning." My eyes stick to the pan in front of me because if I just turn my face, my hair will blow away from my eyes.

"As much as I love pancakes." Adam appears next to me as he takes away the ready plates from the kitchen counter to the dining table. "You didn't have to."

"It's okay; I love cooking. Think of it as a way of repaying you since you were so adamant on not taking my rent fees." I turn off the stove and remove the final pancake placing it into a plate.

"Are you okay?"

"Yeah, why?" I shrug, taking the plate with me as I head to the dining table and take a seat right in front of him.

"Don't know; you just seem a little—"

I look up from my plate, not getting why he stopped midways in his reply, to find him standing right in front of me.

"Adam, what are you do—"

Hesitantly, his hand gently brushes away the blond strands hiding my face, causing my cheeks to morph into a blushing mess. In less than a minute, his eyes, which were inspecting my punched eye, darken a darker shade of grey and his left hand, which was placed right by his side, tightened into a fist. To say that I felt uncomfortable by his actions and his stare was an understatement.